Chapter 4 - Beau's Past

By the end of Natalie's first week at Penola, she had been told by twelve people that Beau had sat and stared at her during lessons. Considering Nat only had two friends, that was pretty impressive.

It turned out that Katie was dating Beau's brother, Luke and Sarah had liked Beau's best friend, “Skip”, for the last year.

It was the Friday of Nat's first week when Katie pulled her back after their last lesson, Geography.

“Look, Natalie, there's a few things you need to know about Beau Brooks before you both get serious,” Katie said seriously.

“Just because he's been staring at me in one or two lessons does NOT mean I'm going to get serious with Beau, I haven't even spoken to him yet!” Nat laughed.

Katie's face remained serious, “yeah, but this is Beau, if he wants you, he will get you, there's no doubt about it. Beau's last girlfriend, Jess...well...”

“Go on?”

“She passed away. Around this time last year actually. Anyway, Beau was with her when she died, it was a car crash and he was driving. He's dated to two girls since then, one he was too over-protective over and she hated it, so they broke up. The other...well she never saw eye to eye with Jess and one day she said something, something no one should ever say about anyone, dead or alive. Beau went off the rails, he punched her square in the face and didn't speak to anyone for six days, he just drank his body weight in Vodka.”

Natalie's face dropped, her mouth wide, her eyes sparkling with tears. She didn't know what to say, how to react, how to feel. A droplet of sadness rolled down Nat's cheek. Katie wiped the tear from her face and pulled her into a hug.

“You needed to know Nat, I'm sorry.” whispered Katie, her voice was Raspy, Nat looked up to see Katie was also crying.

“There's something else...” continued Katie.

Natalie looked at her, her faced scrunched, not sure if she wanted to hear what she was about to be told.

“Jess was my sister.”