Dancing with Danger: Part 1

Eesla was pacing across the hall. She had been summoned before the Jedi Council for a meeting, and she was on edge. Master Yoda had been the one to pass her the message, but he had not let her in on any details. She racked her head but couldn’t think of any reason whatsover why the Council needed to summon her that the Grand Master couldn’t have informed her himself.

A couple of hours ago, Luminara had been elated when she had heard the news. “It’s an emornous honour to be summoned before the Jedi Council! This is something to celebrate!”

Eesla eyed her enthusiastic roommate wearily. “The problem is, what did I do till I needed to be present before the Council members themselves? I mean, the Grand Master himself couldn’t have just let me know what was the issue seeing he’s my Master and all? Face it, it’s either I messed up majorly or I did something really amazing but I don’t think it’s the latter but I can’t think of anything that’s in the former category.” Eesla rambled on, barely slowing to breathe in between words.

“Whoa there!” Luminara sat down beside Eesla, putting an arm around her . “You’re really concerned about this, aren’t you?”

“Well, I don’t think I can be blamed for this. The last time I stood before the Council, they literally told me there was something unusual about me.” Eesla buried her face into her palms, groaning.

Now Eesla was still pacing in front of the Jedi High Council Chamber, waiting for someone to admit her. After what seemed like eternity, Master Mundi finally stepped out of the room.

“Padawan Merquise, the Council will see you now.”

Eesla bowed and followed behind Master Mundi. As she did, he stopped abruptly and turned around. “I sense agitation within you. Are you nervous, child?”

Eesla clenched her fist to stop her fingers from fidgeting. She debated lying to Master Mundi about the tense feeling she had, but decided against it. It was unlikely that he would buy her act. “A little. It has been a long time since I stood before the Council.” Eesla mumbled sheepishly.

“Well you’ll find that there’s nothing to worry about in this case. Enter, Padawan.”

Eesla followed Master Mundi to the centre of the room, then bowed deeply. On her right, she saw Master Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan standing in the corner. She wanted to question their presence, but forced herself to focus on the matter on hand.

“Masters, you had called for me?” she greeted politely.

Master Windu was the first to speak. “Padawan Merquise, come forward. You have been selected for a mission.”

Eesla instantly perked up at his words. It had been awhile since she had been sent on a mission.  Most of her assignments hadn’t been anything too major, so she usually spent her time helping younglings with their training, or observing meetings of the Galactic Senate which Master Yoda often encouraged her to do.

Master Mundi spoke next. “There has been news of a Senator having connections with some powerful crime family syndicates to smuggle weaponry. The weapons go through the black market and are then sold for a high price to those who require them”

“If a civil war had been triggered on Ryloth, it would have been very likely that the weapons would be been acquired from the black market to supply the Rebellion.” Master Windu further added.

“So you think that the men we met in the mine were employed by this Senator?”  Eesla asked, frowning.

“It’s possible. If they weren’t, they would have been under the employment of the crime family syndicates.” Master Windu answered.