Chapter 12

Monday morning. Ugh. I get to school, really not wanting to be there. I park my car and walk into school, finding my locker then heading to my first class. I haven't made any friends yet, but I'm okay with that. I've always been a loner anyways.

The first half of the day went by really fast. We did nothing in second hour, except "journal", but nobody actually did that. Third hour was the only class we did any work in. Freaking Calculus. I hated it. She worked us the whole hour. I felt like I was escaping prison when the bell finally rang. Fourth hour I took Family Consumer Science. It was probably my easiest class. The bell finally rang for that hour too, releasing us for lunch.

I went to my locker to put up my books and grab my wallet to pay for my lunch. Just as I am about to close my locker, I see a familiar pair of boots on the other side. I quickly shut my locker and sure enough, Harry is standing there.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him rudely. I need to get better at asking questions. I always seem to ask them in a rude way.

"I can leave", he says, backing away.

I grab his arm and pull him back.

"Sorry. Why are you here?" I say nicer, adding a smile at the end. He laughs.

"I figured we could go get lunch or something. Ditch the rest of the day. Have some fun, ya know?"

I bring my lip between my teeth, chewing the skin off. I've never been one to ditch school. I had perfect attendance from elementary all the way to my sophomore year, missing two weeks my junior year after I acquired mono from drinking after my cousin.

"I don't know, Harry", I tell him shaking my head.

"What's the worst that could happen?"

I'm still not too sure about it. What if the school calls my mom or something?

"Harry..." I start, only to be cut off by him putting his finger over my lips.

"Come on Layla, it'll be fun."

I finally nod and he smiles, grabbing my hand and leading me out the door. I can't believe we can just walk out of the school and nobody even notices. At my other school, there was always at least one teacher standing by the door at all times, especially during lunch.

I see his car in the parking lot and I automatically think, "What am I going to do with my car?"

"What about my car?" I ask.

"We can bring it to your house first, if you want?" he says and I nod.

I walk to my car, and he to his. He follows me out of the parking lot and to my house. Once we get there, I open the garage and park my car in it. I take my keys with me and I join Harry in his car. As we're backing out of the driveway, I see that Niall's car is back at his house. I wonder what he's doing...

"So, where you wanna go?" he asks, dragging me from my train of thought.

"Let's go to that diner. The one with the good burgers!" I say, remembering the good burger I got there.

"Burgers it is", he says, smiling.

We make our way to the small diner, radio on and no speaking, just the sound of Harry's humming, which I have come to admire.

We get to the diner and my stomach is growling. I hadn't realized I forgot to eat breakfast until just now. Wow. I'm really hungry.

We walk into the small diner and take a seat in a booth.

"Thanks for coming", Harry tells me once we tell the waiter our drink order. "Though I wouldn't have taken no for an answer."

"I figured that. And no problem", I say giggling.