Chapter 15

It’s Saturday.  Tonight’s the night of the party.  I can’t believe that I have to go on crutches.  Harry has been such a help this week.  He was at my house almost all day.  He’d bring me to school and he’d pick me up.  He’d stay at my house until my mom came, or until he had to leave for work.  He’s been having to work late at night.  I don’t even know when he gets sleep.  I told him he didn’t have to, but he insisted.  He should be here any moment now. 

I wasn’t sure what I should wear for the party.  Nothing really “matches” with a cast.  I decided on a thigh-length black dress.  It had sequence at the top and it fitted my curves very nicely.  I didn’t really have many dresses to choose from, so it wasn’t that hard of a decision. My hair is finally done.  I wasn’t sure what I should do with it, so I slightly curled it and I think it looks fairly nice.

I made my way out of the guest room that I’ve been staying in. I walked into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water.

“You look beautiful”, I hear as I close the fridge, and I nearly jump out of my skin. I turn to see Harry sitting at the snack bar.  How the frick did he get in here?

“How’d you get in here?” I ask.  I was pretty sure the door was locked.

“Your window was open”, he says nonchalantly.

“That’s really creepy”, I tell him.  It really was.  I came out of the room to find a teenage boy sitting in the kitchen. 

“I’m sorry baby”, he says standing up and wrapping his arms around my waist, pulling me into a hug.  I remember the first time he came through my window…

“You ready to go?” he asks. 

“Yeah, just a second”, I tell him.  I crutch over to my room and grab a little purse thing I found in my mom’s room and shove my phone and some money into it.  I’m not sure if I’ll need it or not, but I guess I’ll bring it just in case.  I almost topple over trying to balance on one foot.  My crutches are up against the wall and I catch myself on the dresser.  Before I can reach for my crutches, I fell Harry’s arms wrap around my waist and steady me. 

“Are you okay?” I hear him ask.  He’s seems worried. “If you don’t want to go tonight we don’t have to.”

Earlier this week he practically forced me to go and now he’s saying I don’t have to.

“No I want to go”, I tell him, but he doesn’t look convinced.

“Are you sure, because if you don’t want to I would understand and I don’t want you to be uncomfort-“

I cut him off short by pressing my lips against his.  I slowly pull away and say, “I’m sure I want to go.”

He sweetly smiles at me and helps me out the door and into the car.  We take off down the road.  The radio is already on in the car.  He begins to hum, just as he does every time we get in the car. 

“Sing for me”, I say, which seems to take him by surprise.

“What? Why?” he asks. He’s looking at me like I’m crazy.

“Please just sing for me”, I plead.  I pout my lip and try my best to make puppy dog eyes.

“Maybe some other time, babe”, he tells me.  I’m not very sure I like the pet name.

“Babe?” I ask, giving him a hard time.

“Do you have a problem with that?” he asks. He smiles wide.

“Maybe I do, maybe I don’t”, I say.  He’s now smirking at me.

“Well, babe, I like it, babe, so I think I’ll continue to call you that.  Babe”, he tells me.  He was a wide smile plastered on his face.