Chapter 20

A/N

Why is it that everytime I ask for comments, no one does? Well, this chapter is dedicated to sirenlegacy because he helped me a lot with writing this. A thousand thanks go out to you!

Now, continue on!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Rose’s POV

The tears wouldn’t stop as I watched Luke’s retreating back. I didn’t mean to hurt him like I did. I was being truthful earlier. But now that I thought it over, I don’t think I could exactly say I loved John. I cared deeply for him, it was true, but as I stood there, I felt like I needed Luke.

I shook my head as I walked back inside. I needed to leave. I knew if Luke came back, I wouldn’t be able to stop myself from accepting him as a mate, which would probably lead to me mating him.

‘It wouldn’t be that bad.’ the little voice in my head whispered.

‘If people found out the soon-to-be Alpha had a shifter as a mate, everything would be extremely chaotic. I’m not worth that much trouble.’ I whispered back. I raced through the halls, not really knowing where I was going.

Eventually I found the stairs. Once I got to the bottom of them, I was able to find my way to the front door. But as I ran to it, Sophie’s older brother stepped in front of me. I couldn’t stop myself from running into him. Once I looked up at him, I recognized him from earlier. Peter.

As I landed on the ground, he crossed his arms over his chest. I glared at him as I stood up, which he eagerly returned. “What did you say to Luke?” he demanded as I brushed the dirt off of my pants.

I sighed angrily as I tried to walk around him. He wouldn’t budge. “Why does it matter?” I asked quietly, not wanting anyone to hear us. Why couldn’t he just let me leave?

“I’m his brother. I have a right to know.”

“Why can’t you go ask him? I need to leave.” My tone softened, and it sounded almost like I was pleading. And by his smug smile, I knew he heard it also.

“Luke stormed into his room, refusing to talk to me. Whatever you said really set him off.” He let out a small laugh, but quickly turned serious again.

I crossed my arms, looking at the ground. “I told him I couldn’t accept him yet.” I mumbled.

He still heard me though. “And why can’t you? You know, he’s been waiting for a mate for a long time now.”

I closed my eyes and, sighing, I whispered, “I know. This isn’t easy for me, either.”

“Then why are you doing this?”

More tears fell as I looked up at him. “Werewolves and shifters don’t mix well. When people hear that Luke has a shifter as a mate, that couldn’t possibly end well, now could it?”

He shook his head, and his eyes softened. “Do you still love your ex?”

I nodded. “I still care about him, but the pull between me and Luke gets stronger by the minute. I’m so confused.”

Peter bent down a little to look me in the eye, and he whispered, “Don’t pay attention to what others say. Who do you want?”

I frowned, looking at the ground again. After a few minutes, I looked back up at Peter. “I need to speak to Luke.”

He smiled and walked past me, telling me to follow him.

Luke’s POV

I paced my room, now regretting what I had said to Rose. I couldn’t apologize; she was probably already gone.

After a few more minutes, there was a light knock on the door. “What is it?” I growled, not in the mood to speak to anyone. A few seconds later, there still wasn’t a reply, so I walked to the door. I sighed before swinging the door open. I froze when my eyes landed on her white-blond hair.

“Can we talk?” she asked. Her voice was barely above a whisper. I nodded quickly and, moving back into the room, I let her in.

As soon as I closed the door, she ran forward, straight into my arms. ‘This is where she belongs.’ my wolf whispered, purring softly. I couldn’t agree more with him. She fit perfectly.

It took me a second to realize she was crying. I stroked her hair until she eventually looked up. “I’m sorry, Luke. I didn’t mean to hurt you like that.” She stepped back, and I reluctantly let her go. I wasn’t going to ruin this by pushing her. “Luke, I want you to know what I said earlier was partially true.”

I opened to ask what she was talking about, but she gently touched my arms before I could say anything. “Please let me finish.” I nodded, and she took a deep breath. “I was telling the truth when I said I cared for John. But I can’t call that love anymore. It hurt more than I’d like to admit when you walked away, Luke. I despised the mere thought of you being upset with me, and I can’t truthfully say I’ve felt that way before with John. I need you Luke.”

I searched her face, and it was obvious she was telling the absolute truth. I wrapped my arms around her, burying my face into her soft hair. She pulled back a little, and when I gave her a questioning look, she smiled.

“I, Rose Daniel, accept you, Luke Kale, as my mate.”