Chapter 14 - Free

The blaring music emanated from a block away as we searched the street for a parking space. Cedar Hill was teeming with people dressed in costume. Vampires stalked between trees, holding cups filled with red liquid that looked suspiciously like punch; zombies, mummies, and all manners of grotesque corpses shambled about; werewolves traveled in packs, while an assortment of fairytale creatures and nightmares mingled amongst the crowds.

Chelsea took my gloved hand in hers and whisked me into the midst of the celebration. Dressed in a black leather catsuit and knee-high, heeled boots, topped with a pair of black cat ears, Chelsea turned heads as she sauntered between bodies, dragging me along, tripping behind her.

The hem of my black dress dragged on the ground, tangling around my feet, the corset too tight, cutting off my air supply, so I was more than pleased when she finally let me go and gave me a rest. The long, spidery eyelashes she had glued to my lids fluttered in my sight, and nothing would have pleased me more than to rip the stupid things off, but then Chelsea would've been hurt I had taken apart her perfectly crafted look. What that look was, I wasn't entirely certain. She had decorated my eyes with shimmering sparkles, and painted my lips a startling shade of red and declared me a 'Dazzling Enchantress', though I was convinced I looked more like a princess mourning over the fact she had let a clown paint her face with permanent cosmetics.

Not that I'd tell Chelsea that.

As Chelsea's attention turned to the atmosphere and crowds of partygoers, my restlessness grew. She was outgoing, and a party her heaven, myself, on the other hand, would've much rather preferred to sit at home lost in a good book.

"I'm going to go find us drinks."

She dismissed me with a wave of her leather-clad hand.

Eager to escape the ocean of people, I wove through the crowds to stand off to the side in a cluster of tall Spruce trees. Alone with space to breathe, thoughts of Jorden resurfaced, and my heart contracted once again, bringing a wave of salt water to my eyes.

A comforting tingle spread through my body, warming me and easing my heartbreak. Looking through my tears, a familiar figure appeared, walking beneath the Glade Arch. Lifting the hem of my skirts, I chased after him calling his name.

Zev must not have heard me because he didn't turn around, and was swept up by the crowd.

People danced around me, their costumes twirling about in time to the haunting melody. A tall woman, dressed in a dark green velvet gown with flowers and vines twisted into her dark hair, walked past carrying a tray of glasses filled with champagne. She stopped to offer me a drink, which reminded me of the reason I had left Chelsea to begin with. I took two glasses, thanking her, and turned to try and find Chelsea.

After several minutes of searching, I gave up and stood off to the side to wait for her to find me. A few sips of champagne later, warmth blossomed in my belly, bubbling joy through my body, relaxing me and stripping me of all worries. The sweet bubbles rolled across my tongue as I downed the rest of the glass, closing my eyes and savoring the delicious taste.

I rarely ever touched alcohol. The shadows always lurked around people who drank a lot, and I had been abused too often by foster parents who came home drunk, resenting the freak they had taken into their homes. I hated what alcohol did to people, I feared it, but the addictive nectar I downed didn't fill me with aggression or rage.

I felt uplifted, light and airy, like a bird flying free in the sky. A giggle escaped me as I threw back my head and poured the second glass down my throat. The music intensified, and the twinkling fairy lights seemed to glow brighter as I danced my way into the ranks, swirling about with a fervor I was unaccustomed to.

The unearthly music filled me, and I let loose a cry of elation as I lost myself to the night. My skirts whirled around me and the world spun, colors and sounds blending together in my delirium. I swayed on wild feet, completely unhinged, free for the first time in my entire life.

Chapter 14, huh? I'm sure by now you have some predictions about what might happen next

Chapter 14, huh? I'm sure by now you have some predictions about what might happen next. I'd love to hear what you're thinking, and what your ideas are.