Chapter 43 - Shadow and Flame

I abandoned Elelas in the foyer, insistent as he was for me to seek medical attention before seeing my mother. Lurching forward, I ignored his shouts and pushed him away as he tried stopping me.

The hall stretched on in an endless sea of marble. Far too long of a distance to stumble in my panicked state, but desperation urged me along one foot at a time. In a frantic race against the foreboding dread swelling inside me, I pushed onward even as my vision dimmed and my head spun.

The guards stationed outside my mother's chambers let me pass, albeit with looks of concern etching onto their faces.

Throwing open the doors, lungs heaving, I stepped into the room. Darkness swallowed me as the doors swung shut behind me.

"Mom?" I felt along the wall for the light switch. "Mom?" I called again, terror bleeding into my voice as the light failed to turn on.

My knee bashed against a chair as I stumbled across the floor to the second door that opened into her bedroom. Biting back a curse, I tugged open the doors as silver light flared from the other side, blinding me thoroughly as the darkness.

Horror struck me senseless as my eyes recovered and the sudden glow dimmed. My mother collapsed as a bolt of shadow and flame shattered the shield of light surrounding her and pierced her heart.

The shadow-cloaked figure standing before her turned toward me, revealing the face of the man I had once thought to love. Jorden's eyes now soulless, black orbs rimmed in red seared through me as a malicious grin spread across his lips.

Hatred and anger boiled inside me as he gathered more dark power to his hands. The pain, betrayal, and injustice caved in my heart, freezing my soul with the depths of my agony. The sight of my mother's lifeless body splintered me. A scream of outrage tore from my trembling lips with a surge of brilliant light that flooded the room and slammed shut the doors.

The writhing shadows wrapped around Jorden's form evaporated as the light lanced through his body, scattering the dark essence that fled from my attack.

Collapsing beside my mother's crumpled form, I cradled her head in my lap as sobs wracked my body.

Her eyes dark, blood bubbled from her lips as she tried speaking. "Evelyn..." My name wheezed from her mouth as a shallow breath rattled her chest.

"Mom?" Tears burned down my cheeks, eliciting a sob from my frozen lungs.

The life faded from her azure eyes, leaving them dark and empty as she stilled and failed to take another breath. Terror froze me as grief razed my soul to ashes and emptiness tore my voice away.

Shouts rang out from the other side of the doors as the guards fought to gain entry. Numbness spread through me as darkness took me and my consciousness fled.

Did anyone else gasp in horror? How is this going to affect Evelyn? She was only just beginning to settle into her new life

Special shoutout to AuthorJMColes for being such an awesome supporter and for all your wonderful comments!