Prompt #13

Prompt: Kaz's POV when Killian was pissed at him for stealing his key

                A.N.- This was a request for 3 different scenes in Kaz's POV, but I'm splitting them into separate prompts because it's easier for me (and then I don't have to write them all at once)

------------------------------------------

                The door opened and Killian came in. He seemed surprised, taking in the sight of us all standing up. Well, except for Pete. That idiot had his knee cushioned by a pillow and enough drugs in him that it was a miracle he was still alive.

                "O'Malley," I said, trying to mask my pain. I'd gotten good at hiding when I was hurt, but damn, Mr. Redfield was angrier than usual today.

                "What happened?" Killian asked.

                "Let's just say, I doubt any of us actually have asses anymore," Leon groaned. "Shit, Redfield definitely has a paddle kink. Even went for Pete's knee. Don't bother with him for the rest of the day. He took two more hydros."

                I'd tried to stop Pete, but of course he didn't listen to me. Just grinned and swallowed his medication. Fine, if he overdosed, I was going to flip off his corpse.

                "He beat you guys with a paddle?" Killian, oh so innocent, said in shock. Poor boy still didn't understand where he was.

                "What'd you expect? We snuck off campus again. We knew the consequences of getting caught," I said, shrugging. I sat down on my chair, pain shooting through me. I fought to keep it off my face, keeping my expression as casual as possible. "It's just a little beating."

                Oh, right, I still had Killian's key. I'd snatched it from him outside of Denny's. I really should've known better than to throw that spoon away from myself. My hands had grown restless as Killian talked on the phone, and I'd taken his key against my will, not having a chance to put it back before we went inside. Then my dumbass had forgotten about it once we started eating.

                I pulled it out of my pocket and tossed it to Killian. He reacted so slowly I thought he'd drop it, but he just barely managed to catch it, looking down at it.

                "I told him to give that back to you. You're welcome," Leo said. He'd seen it sticking out of my pocket and known it wasn't mine, since I kept mine hooked to my I.D.

                Killian was staring at the key in surprise. His brow furrowed the slightest as he tried to figure out when exactly I'd taken it.

                But then anger crept onto his face. "When did you take this?"

                "Outside of Denny's. I missed my spoon," I said.

                He was silent for a few more moments, his anger growing. I felt that restless shake of my hands and pressed them against my lap, hard. Sometimes people didn't react well to my stealing.

                How many times had Aaron threatened to break my hands? How many times had he come close to breaking my fingers for taking something of his?

                I kept my expression casual despite the quickened beat of my heart. Killian was harmless. He wasn't going to break my hands. He wasn't going to hurt my fingers.

                "Screw you!" Killian snapped, and the others looked at him with surprise on their faces.

                He backed out of the room and slammed the door, missing the way I winced as he did so. I was glad the others had been focused on him.

                I wanted to follow after him. I wanted to tell him that I hadn't meant to make him angry. I wanted to explain that I couldn't help stealing things; it was an urge so strong I wanted to scream sometimes.

                But he was angry. Angry like Aaron used to get when I stole from him.

                "He looked pissed," Mikayla said. "What the hell? You gave the key back."

                "I'm a thief," I reminded. "A rotten little thief. Not everyone is fond of that, Mika."

                "I'll talk to him," Leo offered, moving towards the door.

                I waved him off. "Let O'Malley be. He'll either get used to it, or he'll be angry quite a lot."

                I just didn't want Leo to go to him yet. He was angry, and he had every right to be. I knew stealing was wrong, and I knew why he was angry at me. Apologies meant nothing when I was just going to do it again.

                Hopefully Killian would forgive me. Hopefully he'd be like the others and understand that I'd always give back what I took, that I wasn't trying to be an asshole when I stole things from them.

                I pressed my hand against my now empty pocket. I'd been trying so hard not to steal from Killian so I wouldn't anger him, and now I'd gone and fucked everything up like the dumbass I was.

                "Give him time and he'll understand why you do it, Kaz," Leo said.

                I shrugged. "I'm not concerned about it."

                But of course I was.

                I looked down at my hands. Maybe Aaron should've broken them after all. Maybe everyone would've been better off if he had.

                But I couldn't worry about my own troubled thoughts. Right now, I had to focus on pulling my friends back together after the beating we'd taken from Redfield, I had to keep an eye on Pete, and I'd have to make plans to talk to Killian later.

                So I grinned at my friends, ignoring my pain, ignoring the guilt I felt, ignoring everything because they needed me so I was going to be there for them. If my stealing was what drove Killian away from me, that was my curse to endure.