Chapter 4: The Concert.

"Lend yourself to others, but give yourself to yourself." -Michel de Montaigne

_______________<3______________

Friday came with the crispy smell the air had when water collided with sand. Derin inhaled sharply. She always loved the smell. However, she didn't like cold. The cold was getting to her, gradually. Both she and Ify made sure to cover their bodies severely. Clad in suit pants and jacket, they set out for work.

As they walked into the office, Ify groaned and made her way to her seat. Her hands hugged her body tightly. Derin smirked at Ify who was comfortably seated beside her.

"You are worse than I am." she said.

"Yeah." Ify said weakly and ignored her.

Derin shook her head and commenced work immediately.

"Hey," She was certain it was Zach. She had always knew when he was nearby, his perfume was his trade mark and its strong scent sent heads turning whenever he was in close vicinity.

She turned and smiled at him. He was simply dressed today, donning the MTN polo on a black Jean trouser and suede shoe.

"Hi." She grinned, staring at him.

He walked closer to her and took the seat in front of  her cubicle. He placed his hands on the desk and he smiled at her.

"So what's up?"

"I'm fine."

"Hmm. You ready for tonight?" He smirked.

Derin offered a smile in return. "I guess I am."

He nodded. "You should be."

She let a low chuckle escape her lips.

His lips stretched into a beautiful smile. His dimples flashed, she never knew he had one.

"You won't regret this." he said enthusiastically. Derin nodded and stared back down at her system, hoping it would give him the clue that she was busy.

I hope I don't.

He stood up instantly and with a mock bow, he walked off.

The truth was that she wasn't up for the outing at all, but she couldn't break his heart like that. After all, she had agreed to it. Shaking her head mildly, she yawned lowly. She clasped her hands over her mouth to conceal her wide open mouth. After stretching a bit, she concentrated on her work.

The day went by slowly and not too busy which had Derin praising God inwardly. Customers were few and their complains mild, it seemed that the cold caught everyone, except an hausa woman who blamed MTN for the death of her younger brother.

The office had been eerily quiet. The few customers that came by were at the marketing section. Derin typed away busily on her laptop. Answering to loaded airtime cards, delivery airtime to those who bought.

The doors suddenly flung open forcefully and a heavily built lady whose body was covered from head to toe — in a long Ankara skirt and blouse then and Hijab that ran from her head down her waist — bursted in. All eyes snapped to the door. One look at the lady and the security men stepped back.

"MTN!" Her voice boomed round the room. "Most Terrible Network. I loaded five hundred naira credit this morning and this evening it finish. What nonsense ko? My brother call me, he is sick. I want to call back, no credit. MTN what nonsense. I want to know who generate credit here. I'll sue this company. I'll sue MTN and you all will be jobless. My brother die. He die. I cannot save him!"