16: Marked (FINAL)

Attention: Extremely sexual undertones and actions, not for kids, for mature individuals ONLY.

So if you don't want to read about anything sexy happening then this chapter is not for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey bud,” The bed gently gave way as Rafe settled into the mattress, “How ya doing?”

Mara nodded at him and stared out the window, “This really sucks Rafe.”

He ruffled his hair and coughed, “What does?”

Her back rested against the wood paneled wall, wild ringlets surrounded her face and fluttered each time she breathed out, “My life.”

He felt just as bad, if not worse than she did. What his mom did, pushing Alec at her wasn’t right at all, he should have been there to defend his cousin.

But he hadn’t.

Rafe felt the slip of paper stuffed in his pocket. He’d had second thoughts about pulling it out, but the look on Mara’s face, the look of utter desolation, sunken cheeks and hollow eyes, urged him on. He shivered as a cold gust of wind blew threw Maras window, Rafe rubbed his bare arms and reached for the window.  He couldn’t began to understand why Mara was ok in just a tank top sitting next to an open window. As of yet, winter had only just begun, they had crueler days to fight past.

But she neither stirred nor inquired as his sinewed arms, brown from the sun, but growing pale from the cold winds reached for the window, and hands like vice pushed it down with a audible slam.

Her mind was elsewhere, vacant eyes settled onto Rafes trunk like thigh as they contorted and at last rested in one position. She finally understood why Andrea was so crazy about him, for merely a moment she could see what Andrea wanted her to see. She saw a man who was slowly growing into himself, someone brave, someone human and someone very capable of compassion. Andrea had given Rafe a chance.

A chance she would never ever give Alec.

No matter what anyone said to persuade her.

Rafe snapped his fingers two times fast, “You there M?”

Pale iridescent eyelids fluttered as she came back to life, her head rose as did she against her bed frame and gave Rafe a rather unbelievable smile, “Yeah, I’m here.”

Not convinced at all he sighed and reached for his pocket again as her eyes began to revert back to it’s prior color, “I have something for you.”

“Really?” She turned her head left to her window, stared out at the trees covered with falling snow and black birds searching for a place to rest their bones until they gained ample strength again.

Oh how she wished that she was one of those birds!

That she could fly away into the greying sky and never come back.

Never come back.

Ever.

Something light and tiny pricked at her arm, but she didn’t even flinched, she merely turned her head to the attacker and regarded him calmly, “Rafe?”

He nodded then at the half folded notebook paper in his hand, “It’s for you, take it.”

Her hand folded over it cautiously and she sighed, “What’s it for?”

It was a stupid question to ask, but she didn’t have the strength to prepare herself for any bad news. If there were any then she would take it at full speed….without preparation.