Imogene

July 15 1961 North Carolina
A rare, soft, breeze slipped through the grass at the edge of field, and rustled Imogene's skirts. As she lifted her head towards the southern sky, she was reminded of the sparrows that roosted on the roof of the main house. Today was a very special day. Her birthday, and possibly the last one she would have for a while. Imogene looked down at her bare feet poking out from under her skirts and giggled. If her mother could see her she would be furious. At eighteen years old she was now a woman. Eligible to be married by her families standards. But the rules of South dictated that any man who saw her ankles, oh dear, "limbs" was required to propose. And, oh, had her mother warned her of the danger of getting stuck in a loveless marriage. "Just because you will be old enough to meet your future husband, does not mean the first man who comes along is him!" She would warn Imogene and her sisters strictly. As the oldest daughter, Imogene carried the burden of setting the right example for her two younger sisters, Caroline and Elizabeth. Little Lizzy was too young for an interest in boys, but Caroline as a young lady of fourteen, almost tripped over herself staring at every gentleman who passed by, a problem much less common since the war had begun, a few months back. Imogene was much more mature. She spent no time worrying herself about the soldiers when they came through town. She was patiently awaiting the man of her dreams to return from the front line. Charles Wilhelm was not a rich man, but a very handsome one. He had been the overseer on her father's plantation, and was a kind, gentle, and respectful man. Her mother and father both adored him, and when the war began he was quick to enlist for the Cause. Imogene could not have been prouder of him. There was no doubt in her mind that he was soul mate and she could not wait for him to return for her to be certain. She could see it already. The war over, and the Union defeated. Her and her Charles settled down on a small farm with lots of strong, young, sons a woman could be proud of. Her papa had always seemed slightly disappointed to not have a son alongside his three daughters. As Imogene laid in the grass, and stared at the tobacco plantation that represented her family's lifestyle and wealth, she heard the the bells on the front porch symbolizing that supper was ready. She quickly rose and fixed her shoes back on, before racing home. She could only imagine what her family could have put together the celebrate her special birthday. She reached the porch in record time, and quickly hung her hat, fixed her hair, and adjusted her skirts. She then took a deep breath, and opened the door.