Stanley

September 30 1921 New York

Mickey and Stanley readied themselves for a most important performance. Georgina's was one of the most famous places to see great jazz and blues north of the Louisiana state line. A performance like this could mean big things for eighteen year old Stanley, and his best friend. He examined himself in a mirror, and smiled. His white button up shirt with pink pinstripes, khaki slacks, and pink suspenders looked striking on him. Mickey was in a similar array only blue.  "Now, remember, we have to make a great impression on the owner." Mickey said seriously. "That's right, what is his name again?" Stanley asked, fiddling with his tie. "Her name, not his. And it is Imogene. If she likes us we could become a regular act. A great gig to get our name out there." Stanley was impressed. While people  were less discriminating in the north it was still shocking to hear that an establishment that large, and profitable was run by a woman. "Must be some lady." He said. "Oh she is. Eli and Sissa speak of her as if she could power a train with her determination." Stanley wanted to ask more, but at that precise moment Eli knocked on the door letting them know it was time for their first song. Stanley grabbed up his trombone for the first number, and nodded to Mickey. Then they both made their way onto the stage.

The crowd was a lot bigger than Stanley expected. It was obviously a higher class place. Stanley had never seen so many brightly colored dresses, and well dressed men in a room together. He had to focus. As he looked down to check his mouth piece he stopped as something bright caught his eye. Directly in front of the stage at a table alone sat a dark curly haired woman. Her face was bright and mischievous,  and reminded him of the stories his mother once told about fairies. Her slim, lithe body was dressed in a gold dress that barely made it past her knee, and glowed in the light as if it were the sun itself. Everything about her drew him in, to the point he barely noticed Mickey signaling him to begin. Stanley forced himself to snap out of it, and that night he played better than he had in his entire life. Every number ended in a standing ovation. At the end of his last number Stanley returned his attention to the fairy in the front, but to his great disappointment she was gone. He made his way off stage with Mickey and began to pack up his equipment when behind him a soft southern voice sounded.