Imogene

(AN: Still flashing back!)

September 30 1921 New York

The answer had been near immediately. Imogene wasted no time in seeing to it that the things that had been left to her sisters were distributed,  then packed her bags, leaving the rest of the house in order. She intended to keep it. Her father's family had owned the plantation for generations, and she was not going to be the one to end that. Imogene packed some housing supplies, jewelry, and other things important to her, but when she reached the clothing she froze. She stood at the edge of her wardrobe, and looked upon all the dresses and skirts. She had been to town recently. No one wore those giant hoop skirts any longer. She was forty years out of style. Without any love to impress, and never growing any older she had seen no reason to update her closet, but as a future business owner in New York... she was going to need to make a few changes. She selected a few of her smallest, most plain gowns, serious, lace-less blouses, and her most comfortable shoes. She would go shopping once she reached the city. The day they were to leave, as she got ready to go to the train station,  Imogene slipped on a plain, dark grey, cotton frock, and pearl necklace. Underneath her legs felt deliciously bare in the pantaloons she had cut short, and without the crinoline and the hoops. The corset she kept, she was not ready to horrify her angel mother. When she reached the bottom of the stairs, Sissa was waiting for her. Their baggage, and Mrs Ellin were already in the carriage. Imogene took Sissa's hand, and together they excited the house.

The ride to New York was a long and fascinating one for the three women who had never before been on a train. The country side flew by in a blur of color that slowly began to shift as the approaches the cities of the north. When they arrived it was like three children in a candy shop. So much to see and only three pairs of eyes to take it all in. Imogene quickly pulled herself together, and found them a carriage to bring them to their new home. Imogene had already arranged for them to have a lovely brownstone town house just outside of the city, and once they arrived they all fell in love. It was much smaller than where she had grown up, but the place had a certain charm to it Imogene could not deny.

A few weeks passed, and the three had settled into New York quite nicely, and began the search for the restaurant location. Then, by accident, one afternoon on a walk Imogene found it.  The place was absolutely lovely, and just the perfect size. Imogene bought it on the spot then ran home to tell the other two. The next four months flew by, and on October 17 1901 the doors opened to Imogene and Sissa's New restaurant. Georgina's. It exuded the elegance of old New Orleans, and the menu was spectacular. It quickly became one of the most popular dining spots in town; a glory Imogene attributed to blessings from her mother.

Twenty years later Imogene was possibly the happiest woman on earth. Georgina's was still doing fabulously, and her darling Sissa had married and given birth to a baby girl, making Imogene a god mother. She was very proud of her title, and that day was escorting the young Miss Emma Jean (who called her Duchess) to the restaurant to watch the jazz band performing that night warm up. It was one of their favorite activities. The wind rustled the loose dress Imogene wore that barely hit her mid calf in length. Imogene did not like the term "flapper". She associated it with words like "tramp" and "floozy". She did however love the style. She had recently cut off her long hair, and her hair now curled around her face in dark waves. She had also embraced makeup and the short dresses and undergarments. Her corset was a thing of the past, besides, she had never really needed it. She and Emma Jean walked into the restaurant only to be greeted by Eli, Sissa's husband. "If it isn't two of my favorite bossy women!" He greeted them scooping up his daughter, and planting a kiss on Imogene's hand. "Have I ever got a treat for you. This duo is from Chicago, they are utterly fantastic. They  call themselves "Roaring", and are comprised of a white man, Mickey, and a black man, Stanley. They both play all sorts of music, and keep things interesting." "Wonderful! Eli, you have always had the best taste in music." Imogene said happily. "Can not wait to hear them." She pushed her way through the double doors into the main dining hall, and directed her attention to the stage. Where she laid eyes on the person who would change her life forever.