Love is in the air

CHAPTER 50 - LOVE IS IN THE AIR

AL'S POV

"Gabrielle, get out!" Byron roared as he launched himself towards me, well, us. His sister was shielding me with her own body.

Um ... we just told Byron about us, in case you were wondering. And ... no, he didn't take it well.

"Byron ..." Gabrielle tried to coax as she kept me behind her, like a mother goose protecting her baby.

"Gabrielle, get out of the way." Her brother roared once again.

She sighed, shaking her head, and squeezed my hands. I'd have intervened, but she prohibited me to, said she'd take care of it, I was only to stand there and watch. Yeah ... it really worked, huh? The moment she slipped her hand in mine and told her brother she and I were dating, Byron lost it.

"Be rational, Byron, please." She demanded. "Alan and I are in love."

"Love?" He scoffed. "Alan Barrow doesn't know love! All he knows is how to please his dick." That's a low blow.

"Now, come on, Bye, don't be mean ..." I argued. "I know I've been an unreliable jerk, but I've changed, you know I have." Well ... mostly changed, but he doesn't need to know that.

"Oh, sure ... you're so changed, you just wrecked your engagement to get in bed with my sister!" Byron yelled, getting bigger by the minute as he charged at me. I was basically blocked against the wall because Gabrielle wouldn't want to hear it of getting out of the way. Although it's good, he'll never punch me if there's the risk he'll hit his sister instead.

"We explained you what happened, Byron." Gabrielle tried being diplomatic. Sure, because that really works. It's just her brother wanting to cut off my balls because I dared touch her. Nothing, really.

"Weren't you the one to claim bro code every single fucking time, Alan?" Byron questioned, his pupils tinging of a blood red I didn't like one bit. "Never with an ex, never with a relative!"

Yeah, I said that ... years and years ago. Then I made out with my best friend's ex and kinda deflowered his sister. Wow, I'm such an awesome bro, huh? No wonder Will's still keeping me on my toes.

I cleared my throat, grabbing Gabrielle's waist to move her aside, but her brother's eyes followed my hands, and ... he looked like he'd be ready to butcher me the moment his sister stood aside, so ... I left her there. Yes, yes, I'm a coward, I was taking refuge behind my girlfriend. Understand me, her brother is a mountain of muscle that could kill me with one punch, I gotta preserve myself. I'm doing it for Gabrielle more than myself, of course. She'd mourn me for too long and I'd leave her in a fucked up world ... no, no.

"Byron ... I know what I said, and I'm sorry. I broke our code, I've been a complete and utter jerk, but ..." I sighed, this time being serious as I pulled Gabrielle aside, even while pulling her against my side. "I love your sister, okay?" I turned to look at her gorgeous face, and I instantly smiled. "I love Gabrielle with my whole heart, I can swear it. Believe me, I would have never dared, hadn't my feelings for her been truthfully honest."

She let herself go to my arms, smiling happily. I love to see that smile on her face, and I love that it's me to make it appear. I just ... I love Gabrielle. It's absurd that it's taken me so long to realize it. I mean, ten years, two failed relationships, two heartbreaks, a quasi marriage ... it took me all this to realize the woman of my life had always been right there waiting.

"I know you don't believe me, Bye, and I understand that, I mean ... you've known old me for so long, why would you trust me with your sister's wellbeing? But ... I'm sincere. You know I hate lies. I'm totally sincere. I love Gabrielle, and I plan to make our thing last. No matter what. Now, she's your sister and she loves you deeply, you're my best friend and I love you like a brother, so we'd want your blessing, but ... I gotta say, if we don't have it, we'll keep going nevertheless, because we can't be without each other."