Last Chance

As I was brushing my teeth, getting ready for work Byron stepped behind me and kissed my neck, gently. I giggled and rinsed my mouth.

"When do you come home today?" he asked.

"Let me check that." I picked up my little notebook and flipped through the pages "Like... I don't know, I take a late evening as well."

"Well, I'm sad." he pouts "I thought we could eat out tonight."

"Sorry," I sighed "not tonight."

"Are you ready? I'll give you a ride, where do you go?"

"I start with Billy today."

"Oh, okay, right, I'll take you."

I smiled as I kissed him but my phone interrupted us. It was an unknown number, so I knew it was a new client.

"Hello?" I picked up as I got my bag.

"Lea Devlin?" a woman asked on the other end of the line.

"Speaking."

"I'm Jessica Hayden."

"Do you wish to hire me?"

"Yes, please."

"We can talk about it sometime today. I'll have a little time around 2 if that fits you."

"I'll be working. I think I can get away for a little bit, I work in a small diner."

"If you give me the address I can go and we can talk about your child."

I was already half-way to the car as she gave me the address, I clumsily recorded it in my little notebook.

"I'll be there, Ms. Hayden."

"Thank you." she said, her voice was full of pain but there was a hint of relief at the same time.

"Goodbye."

"Goodbye."

As I got into the car Byron looked at me. I knew this look way too well. He hated when I took new clients, but I could never help it. I've always loved being with children. A new opportunity always boosted my mood. He didn't say a thing but I knew he didn't approve. He knew some of the children I dealt with but he really wanted to have own children, the sooner the better. When we arrived I kissed him goodbye. He didn't say a single word during the short trip and he only said that he'd be waiting for me. He was about to get fed up with my work. He was concerned about that if I deal with kids this much I'll feel I got more than enough of them, but that can never happen.

When I knocked on the door it opened in seconds and the little boy held his arms out to me. I picked him up smiling. He was five years old and his father had left them three months ago. They hadn't have divorced yet, and the mother, Alice was concerned about Billy. He talked little, and when he did he usually asked about his father. Alice waved at me and promised she would be back by one. I nodded and watched her go then I turned to the boy.

"Have you eaten, Billy?"

"Yup." he says quietly.

"Are you talkative today?"

"Maybe." he shrugs.

"Well, what do you wanna do?"

"Talk."

"Let's talk then."

"Where do dads go when they leave?"

"It beats me, champ." I said as we sat on the couch.

"They all leave?"

"No, most of them stay."

"So dad don't like me?"