Let Your Hair Down

The following month passed by fast. It was hard to convince Emily not to come with me but stay home and study instead but in the end she gave in. She knew I would go home every night. That was my new home: her place. We kept her secret between us but I noticed how her face twitched when her stepfather - or step-douche as she referred to him and I started believing that it actually fit him - tried to intimidate me but I couldn't care any less about him. Sometimes she even opened her mouth, forgetting that she just pretending not to speak but every time I gently kicked her under the table, reminding her it's our secret.

We slept together every night and she watched me leaving every morning. We hadn't become more than friends then. There were nights when she snuggled closer but I didn't mind at all. I really liked that girl. She didn't push anything though. We kept teasing each other but nothing more. We respected each others' feelings. There were times when I felt like I could fall for her any second but I really tried not to.

On the day of the concert, which happened to be my birthday as well, she was more excited than usual. She didn't know it was my birthday though, I didn't even care. It didn't matter at all. She kept talking and talking about this band and club and about how excited she was. It was evening already, I was laying on her bed while she was getting ready. I was about to die of boredom.

"Emily, come on! We're gonna be late!"

"Just one more second!"

She whispered, although her mother and step-douche was away in Colorado, visiting her parents.

"You look perfect, let's just go! Besides, you owe me one, your mom wouldn't have let you go without me." I said, my old self was definitely returning.

"Owe you one?" she scoffed "I would've snuck out anyway! If you don't wanna go just tell me!"

"Yeah, sure, I've already promised you, remember? I'm not a person who breaks a promise."

"Okay, whatever." she turned to me "Do I look good?"

I sat up and checked her out. She wore a band T-shirt and a ripped flannel and she chose a ripped, stone-washed jeans. I shook my head.

"Throw those pants off." I said and she blushed "I mean, that's totally uncool. Put on the black one instead."

"Okay." she said quietly.

She changed her pants then looked at her shoes. I breathed a sigh and almost blindly chose one. It was a pair of black combat boots.

"There. Let's go already."

"Fine." she scoffed "I wanna look good, okay?"

"Why? You'll get wasted in half an hour." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, what about you?" she stopped next to me after putting the boots on.

"I have no idea. I haven't really drunk in the past few months. A bottle of wine or a couple bottles of beer."

"Right. Let's see what we'll have." she grabbed her purse but I took it away from her and threw it on the bed.

"Leave it. Tonight's on me."

"How did I earn it?" she scratched her scruff.

"You worked really hard in the past few weeks. Study-wise." I ruffled her hair and she groaned but that just made me laugh.

"Okay, fine, let's just go."

She stormed out of her room. I still grabbed a plastic bottle then locked the house and we headed to that small store. I had a plan in my mind. I told her to wait outside. I wanted to surprise her. I bought a bottle of vodka and some orange juice: that night was for screwdriver. When I walked out I motioned her that I know a place where we can mix our drink for the night. Right after finishing I offered her the first sip. She coughed a little bit, claiming the beverage is way too strong. When I tested it as well I thought it was just perfect.