Don't Get Lost in Darktown

Emily didn't take my moving out as bad as I expected. She remained calm and didn't whine about it at all. As the weeks kept passing by she explored more and more of Dark Town and that made me worry. I didn't really want her to know where I came from or what was I like as a teenager. I was afraid she would come down from the clouds.

About my work, I was getting tired of it. I still loved the children of course, but I wasn't really happy. I was about to ask a favor from Ally. I was just getting tired of it. It was part of my old life, a part of me which made me suppress my real self. My heart was breaking but I knew I had to give up taking care of children. I didn't want to remember the past nine years.

On a Friday night, when I was extremely tired my phone buzzed as I received a message.

Emily: When are you finishing today?

Me: I just did.

Me: Honey, can we cancel tonight? I'm half-dead.

Emily: Sure, no problem. Get some good sleep. Call me if anything's up.

Me: Yeah, just don't get surprised if I actually will :D

Emily: Okay, I won't. Love you.

Me: Love you, too.

I started the engine with a sigh and drove home. Ally wasn't there, and I felt like I could drink something. I headed down to Wicked World. As I stepped in I got surprised: Emily was sitting at the counter, talking to Ally. I walked to them, seemingly interrupted a conversation.

"No way we're talking about the same person!" Emily laughed.

"Believe me, kiddo, I'm telling the truth. Oh well, speak of the devil..."

"Hi..." my voice was hoarse.

"Oh, hey! I thought you were tired." the girl looked at me.

"I am. But I'm also thirsty. Can you get me a beer, please?"

"Sure, it's on me." the brunette smiled "How are the kids?"

"Uh, I'm almost done with Juan, the others still need some work."

"Not that enthusiastic anymore, Devlin?" she placed the beer in front of me.

"No. I love the kids, but... I don't really know. Something doesn't feel right. I'm actually considering asking a favor..."

"Well, well, well... Let's see. You could work here. Jeff's about to quit."

"No, only after I'm done with all the kids."

"Fine for me."

"Anyway," I turned to Emily "what are you doing here? I thought you were studying."

"Yeah, but I finished for the day and got bored, so..."

"You shouldn't be here." I sipped my beer.

"What? Why?"

"Don't get lost in Dark Town. You're so much better than that."

"Oh, I feel offended!" Ally chuckled "Leave the kid alone, she can take care of herself. And so can us."

"Ally!" I shot her a look.

"Whatever." she rolled her eyes "Hey kiddo, wanna earn some money?"

"Ally, that's enough!" I hit the counter with my fist.

"Hey, calm down, Lea, what's the big deal?" the girl caressed my back "Uh, what do you mean?"

I just rolled my eyes as I took another sip of my beer.