Trouble in Paradise

After we moved in to the apartment our lives became rather boring. We kept working for Ally, Emily started uploading her videos, in the beginnings acoustic songs only, but when she could she bought other instruments and asked other musicians to help her out, but she also learned to play the bass and she started to learn to play the drums as well. Our life was just perfect.

We lived together again and spent as much time together as we could. When college started for her she tried to work less, but she needed the money to maintain her musical instruments. Jasmine and Ally eventually got together and Jasmine offered apprenticeship to Emily in her tattoo parlor which she took without hesitation. She kept telling me how much she loved me and that we should start our own family, the sooner the better.

She got much more mature with time. She took everything seriously: school, her apprenticeship, graphics, music, our life. She rarely complained anymore: she calmed down. I couldn't be any prouder of her. And I became calm by her side, too. She always knew what to say, I guess Ally gave her some tips on how to handle me.

One night when I got home very late I just changed my clothes and tried to lie beside her as carefully as possible. I didn't want to wake her up. I still kissed her on the cheek and she mumbled something, took my hand and snuggled. I just smiled and stroked her hair and tried to sleep a little.

That night we were woken by my phone. I groaned and I was half-asleep but I answered.

"Hello?" my voice was raspy and tired.

"I'm sorry." a woman cried on the other end of the line "I'd really need you now. I can't handle this alone anymore."

"Who's this?"

"It's me. Lily."

"Yeah," I chuckled "you didn't really care when you left me here but now you need me."

"Listen, I really need you. Mom just died, dad is dying, I just can't... I can't..."

"What?" I sat up.

"Mom died. I can't take care of dad alone anymore." she sniffled.

"No." I whispered.

"My husband helps me a lot, I just can't... It's not the same. It's just..."

"What happened?"

"It all started with a seizure, and later... it was hemorrhage."

"What's with dad?"

"He has Parkinson's. With the combination of Alzheimer's, I just can't..."

"Fuck." I brushed off my face as I sniffled.

Then silence filled the line, except for the times when we both sniffled. Emily was sitting next to me. She kept caressing my back but didn't say a word. I'd just made up my mind.

"Text me the address, I'm coming. It may take three days but I'll be there."

"That's ridiculous, you have to get on a plane."

"Out of the question. You know that I'm afraid of flying. No, I'll get into the car and I'll be there in three days, I promise. Just... hold on, okay? I'll be there."

"I'll send you the address. Keep in touch, okay?"

"Yeah, sure. See you."

"See you."

When I hung up Emily turned the lights on. She looked at me but didn't say a word. I wiped my tears down, stood up and started packing. The girl grabbed me by the shoulders.

"Whoa, what are you doing?"

"I need to go." I sniffled.

"What? Where are you going? Who called you?"