Chapter 19

Season 1, Episode 6- Heart Monitor

Later on during free period...
On the lacrosse field...

Stiles and I secretly stole or borrowed things we needed for this afternoon to help Scott to control his shift. "Okay." Stiles sighed, as he set a sports bag on the front bench where the players would sit before practise or before actual lacrosse, competitive games. "Now..." Stiles started, as he dug through the sports bag we had practically stolen. "Put this on." Stiles added, as he held out a heart rate monitor that runners used on the track team or sometimes for the cross country team, that I was actually thinking of participating in, one day. "Isn't this one of the heart rate monitors for the track team?" Scott questioned. "Yeah, we borrowed it." I shrugged, folding my arms over my chest. "Stole it." Scott corrected. "Temporarily misappropriated. Coach uses it to monitor his heart rate with his phone while he jogs, and you're gonna wear it for the rest of the day." Stiles explained, tightly gripping onto Coach's mobile phone in the palm of his hand. "Isn't that Coach's phone?" Scott questioned, crinkling his eyebrows together. "That, we stole." I spoke up. "Why?" Scott questioned. "All right, well, your heart rate goes up when you go wolf, right?" Stiles questioned, as Scott nodded in agreement, but I already knew the answer to that as it was an easy question to answer to. To be honest, his questions were rhetorical, to me anyways. "When you're playing lacrosse, when you're with Allison, whenever you get angry. Maybe learning to control it is tied to learning to control your heart rate." Stiles explained. "Like the incredible Hulk." Scott pointed out.

"Kind of like the incredible Hulk, yeah." I shrugged. "No, I'm like the incredible Hulk." Scott corrected, as I rolled my eyes at him. "Just shut up and put the strap on." Stiles and I exclaimed in unison. Scott obeyed, as he wrapped the heart rate monitor around his torso that would easily measure his heart rate. I tossed Stiles the duct tape, as Scott strolled into the middle of the lacrosse field, as Stiles ties his hands together with the duct tape I had tossed to him, which surprisingly he caught. "This isn't exactly how I wanted to spend my free period." Scott complained, as Stiles and I strolled a couple of metres away Scott. "All right. You ready?" Stiles questioned. "No." Scott answered, hastily. "Remember don't get angry." Stiles reminded. Stiles opened up the app Coach used on his phone that helped monitor his heart rate and easily set it up. "I'm starting to think this was a really bad idea." Scott said, but we ignored his statement. Stiles rolls a lacrosse ball in the net of his lacrosse stick, before tossing the ball, which aimed right at Scott's shoulder. Scott grunted out in agony and bent over slightly, as the heart monitor app began to measure his heart rate, which was rapidly beginning to increase with horrifying speed.

Stiles tossed a second lacrosse ball at him, which aimed at Scott's shoulder again, causing Scott to grunt out in agony and wither in pain. "Oh, man. Okay, that one... kind of heart." Scott said, gritting his teeth together. "Quiet. Remember, you're supposed to be thinking about your heart rate, all right? About staying calm." I explained, as my arms folded over my chest, as I watched in amusement at the entertainment before me. "Stay calm." Scott told himself, as Stiles aimed a lacrosse ball at him, but unfortunately it missed it's aim. "Staying calm. Staying totally calm. There's no balls flying at my face..." Scott told himself, but a lacrosse ball harshly forced his left shoulder backwards, as he mentally cried out in agony. Stiles nicely aimed at his shoulder again, which harshly forced his left shoulder backwards again, as Scott kept grunting out in pain. Stiles aimed at his target again, but the ball slammed harshly into Scott's stomach instead of his shoulder. "Aah. Son of a bitch." Scott cursed. "You know what? I think my aim is actually improving." Stiles said, smugly. "I wonder why." Scott exclaimed, as his eyes narrowed slightly at me, as a blush formed on my cheeks, probably thinking I was the cause of Stiles having a better aim.

"Don't get angry." Stiles reminded, as Scott's heart rate sped up rapidly. "I'm not getting angry." Scott growled slightly, as Stiles aimed a lacrosse ball at his kneecap, causing me to wince because in some level that must've hurt. I felt awfully guilty of myself that this was all of my fault, since this was originally a plan I came up with. Stiles continued to aim a lacrosse ball at Scott a couple of times, and I was beginning to grow agitated and concerned, seeing as his heartbeat pounded in his chest in a rapid pace. "Stop. Just, can we just hold..." Scott chocked out, as he fell onto his knees, jagged breaths slipping past his lips. The heart rate monitor began to beep like crazy, as I unfolded my arms that rested comfortably across my chest. "Scott?" I questioned, as I took a step forward, but Stiles held his arm out in front of my legs, seeing as he was bent down on the ground. Scott ripped the duct tape off of his wrists and dug his fingernails in the muddy grass, but thankfully the heart rate monitor began to slow down, so I took that as a sign to stroll over to him and see if he was okay. "Scott, you started to change." Stiles stated. "No shit, captain obvious." I said sarcastically. "From anger. But, it was more than that. Was like, the angrier I got, the stronger I felt." Scott interrupted us. "So, it is anger then. Derek's right." Stiles pointed out. "I can't be around Allison." Scott said, hopelessnesses dripping from the tip of his tongue. "Just because she make you happy?" Stiles questioned. "No, because she makes me weak." Scott replied, as I smiled sadly at him, but I knew better than that because Allison was actually his anchor, but he doesn't know it yet and I wanted him to figure it out for himself.