Chapter 65

Season 2, Episode 11- Battlefield

4 Days Later...
At Beacon Hills High School...
Paige's POV...

I tuned out the sound of locker doors slamming and the lacrosse team talking; tonight was the championship lacrosse game. But, I couldn't focus on the fact that my boyfriend was most likely able to actually play in the lacrosse championship game. Although, all I could focus on was the fact that Gerard had made an alliance with the kanima and Peter was somehow alive. I had kept this bottled inside of me for the past four days. The problem was I hadn't even told Scott or Stiles about what I had witnessed that night. Scott and Stiles thought it was a good thing Matt was murdered, as it put everything to an end; at least that's what they thought. Scott knew the truth about Gerard and his alliance with the kanima, as this morning, they had made an appearance at his house. Scott just didn't know the truth about Peter being somehow alive.

I was startled out of my thoughts, as Coach started to speak into a speakerphone. "Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will be joining others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind." Coach exclaimed. "What?" Melissa, Scott's Mum, questioned; glancing around at the lacrosse team in absolute utter confusion. "Mankind... that word should have new meaning for all of us today." Coach implied; the speech from Independence Day spoken loud and clear. "What the hell is he talking about?" Melissa questioned, just lightly tapping Stiles' shoulder to catch his undivided attention. "He does this every year." Stiles sighed in response. "Seriously?" Melissa questioned, with a slight annoyed look expressing upon her face. "Yeah." Stiles responded. "We are fighting for our right to live." Coach exclaimed. "Yeah." The lacrosse team cheered, all in perfect unison.

"Wait. Is this?" Melissa questioned, immediately recognising the most famous speech every American should know. "Yeah, it's the speech from Independence Day." Stiles responded. "Hmm, hmm." Melissa nodded in understanding. "But as the day the world declared in one voice –" Coach stated, in a slightly raised tone. "It's Coaches favourite movie." Stiles stated. "We will not go quietly into the night." Coach continued. "He doesn't know any sports speeches?" Melissa questioned, as I leant comfortably against a wall of lockers; my arms folded across my face. "I don't think he cares." I chuckled lightly. "Today we celebrate our Independence Day." Coach finished off. "Yeah." The lacrosse team cheered, again in perfect unison.

"Well spoken, Coach." Gerard interrupted; slightly shoving Coach to the side. "I might have chosen something with a little more historical value, but there's no denying your passion. And while I haven't been here long, there's no denying my pride in having a winning team for this school." Gerard said, as I narrowed my eyes slightly at Gerard. "I know you'll all be brilliant tonight, even with only one co-captain leading you." Gerard continued on, as I straightened my spine; shooting a questioning look to Stiles as to why Scott wasn't leading the team. "Now, I'm your principal, but I'm also a fan. So, don't think I'll be content to watch you merely beat this team. Get out there and murder them." Gerard finished off, as my eyes widened in slight shock; exchanging a worrying glance with Scott. What the hell was Gerard planning this time? "You heard the man. Asses on the field." Coach commanded, as Stiles and I exited the locker room in a slight hurry. "What the hell is Gerard planning?" Stiles questioned. "I ain't got a clue. But whatever he is up to is not going to end well." I responded, as we walked hand-in-hand out to the field.

A couple minutes later, I sat beside Stiles on his left side, as Scott sat on his right side. "Your dad coming?" Scott questioned Stiles. "Yeah. He's already here." Stiles responded, pointing in the direction where his dad was sitting just merely a couple seats away. Stiles huffed out a nervous breath. "You seen Allison?" Scott questioned. "No. You seen Lydia?" I questioned, as I hadn't seen my strawberry blonde friend in the crowd of people. "Not yet." Scott responded. "You know what's going on?" Stiles questioned, as Scott huffed out a rather nervous breath. "Not yet." Scott responded. "It's going to be bad isn't it?" Stiles questioned, as Scott nodded slightly in response. "I mean like people screaming, running for their lives, blood, killing, maiming kind of bad?" Stiles questioned, as I rested my head against his shoulder slightly with a slight sigh slipping past my lips. "Looks like it." Scott sighed in response.

"Scott – the other night seeing my dad getting hit over the head by Matt, you know, while I'm still lying there and I can't even move, I just – I want to help, you know, but I can't do the things that you and Paige can do. I can't – " Stiles chocked out, as I lifted my head up and rested my chin comfortably against his shoulder. "It's okay, babe." I responded, as I rubbed his arm reassuringly. "We're losing, dude." Stiles sighed. "The hell are you talking about?" Coach interrupted, as I removed my bony chin off of Stiles' shoulder.

"Game hasn't even started. Now, put on your helmet and get out there. You're in for Greenberg." Coach demanded, as my eyes widened slightly in surprise, as my boyfriend is finally going to be able to play in an actual game. "What? What happened to Greenberg?" Stiles questioned; his eyes widened in surprise and utter shock. "What happened to Greenberg? He sucks. You suck slightly less." Coach shrugged; using his hands for emphasis. "I'm playing on the field. With the team?" Stiles said in disbelief, as Scott and I laughed in surprise. "Yes, unless you'd rather play with yourself." Coach responded. "I already did that today, twice." Stiles responded, as I stifled in a laugh. "Get the hell out there." Coach shouted in demand, as Stiles jumped slightly startled and began gathering his lacrosse gear. "Good luck, babe." I said, as I lingered my lips on his for a couple seconds. "Hmm. Ugh. Haha." Stiles responded, as he raced onto the field; a giggle slipping past his lips. "You think he'll do good?" Scott questioned, as he shuffled closer beside me. "I hope so." I responded.

I blew a kiss to Stiles who positioned himself on the field, as he blew a kiss back in response; a giggle slipping past my lips. "Scott, Paige, can you hear me?" Gerard's voice filtered in, as the smile fell off my face replacing it with a frown. "Ah, you can. Good. Then listen closely because the game is about to get interesting." Gerard informed, as Scott and I exchanged worrying glances. "Let's put a real clock on this game, Scott and Paige. I'll give you guys until the last thirty seconds. When that scoreboard clock begins counting down from thirty, if you haven't given me Derek, then Jackson is gonna kill someone." Gerard exclaimed, as my breath hitched in the back of my throat; Jackson finally revealing himself positioned on the field. "So tell me Scott, Paige, who's going to die tonight? Should it be your mother, Scott, who so bravely came out to support you? Or the Sheriff, your best friend's and boyfriend's father? Or how about the pretty little redhead who managed to survive the bite of an Alpha? Or maybe one of those innocent teenagers with their whole life ahead of them?" Gerard kept taunting, as I glanced over my shoulder at the Sheriff, Mrs McCall and Lydia.

"Or should I do everyone a favour and kill that ridiculous coach? It's up to you, both. But, you are going to help me take Derek down. Because if you don't – I'll have Jackson rip someone's head off right in the middle of the field and drench everyone you guys love and care about in blood." Gerard finished taunting, as the sound of the whistle echoed throughout the air signalling the beginning of the game.

Gerard was not going to get what he wanted. I was going to figure out a way that I wouldn't have to hand Derek over to Gerard without anyone dying tonight. I was not going to let him win, not this time.