Chapter four

Chapter four

In the dead of night, Damon found himself on an unfamiliar highway; heading towards an unknown destination, but anywhere was better than nowhere; anywhere could be closer to Elena. With his pale trembling hands gripping the steering wheel of his blue 1969 Chevy Camaro, his thoughts dangerously wandered directly to the horrible what if's. His legs quivered and he had to talk himself through staying on his side of the rode. How could things end this way?

"How could you let this happen, Damon?" He screamed at himself as tears began to stream down his eyes like a dripping faucet.

Hope was something he would not give up on; not this time. Damon held the wheel with one hand and wiped his haggard face with the other. He started to drift into the left lane and an oncoming car hastily reacted and honked their horn. Damon corrected the car with a jerk. He pulled off to the side of the rode, put the car in park and placed his face in his palms, letting the tears pour out.

"When have I ever been this distraught over a woman? Since when do I care so much?" He thought to himself and the answers all came clear.

"Katherine," he said aloud.

For a second he thought hard about it. Could she have something to do with the disappearance of Elena? If so, why? Katherine was a bitch, but this was too low, this would have her killed for good. The location of Katherine was not so simple; she took the cure and ran with it.

"Think, think, think." He thought to himself.

He pulled back off into the road and drove far, far from Mystic Falls. There was no chance she was there. He knew he had to work alone on this one. Stefan was gone, possibly for good this time. Rebekah was pulling for 'ripper' Stefan and enjoyed every moment with him; friends with benefits to the maximum. With one hand on the wheel, Damon fondled the passenger seat to find his phone. He glanced back and forth from the road to the seat until he found it. He scrolled to Elena's name and hit call. The phone was not off, it was ringing! This gave him more hope, but Damon was not exactly technology savvy. He didn't really understand that phones have GPS's and that Elena could possibly be tracked down. No one answered the phone; he tried again, but it was useless. Damon became irate and chucked the phone over his shoulder into the back of the car. Already pushing 80 miles an hour he stepped on the gas pedal and the bar shot up to 100 within seconds. The phone rang from the back seat and Damon nearly slammed on the breaks. He pulled off to the side of the road, placed the car in park and grabbed the phone; not looking at the caller I.D he answered.

"What?" His voice as cold as ice with a slightly shake.

"Damon?" the voice cracked as she spoke his name.

"Caroline?" Damon's voice calmed.

"Damon, I just heard; where are you?"

"I don't know." He tried to sound like himself.

"Damon I'm serious. I want to help you find Elena."

Elena, just the sound of her name gave him a pain in his heart that he couldn't describe.

"I'll find her, Caroline. I'm not going to let anything happen to her."

"I understand that, Damon, but two is better than one... now tell me where you are."

"Did I not just say I don't know... I got in my car and drove... now I'm on the side of the road somewhere... there's trees, and grass, and what do you know, a dark black sky." That was Damon alright. Caroline could sense that even though he was being an ass, he was really worried sick and didn't want to show it.

"Fine, I'll find you." She hung up.

Damon hung up his phone and stopped himself as he nearly smashed it into the ground. His rage was getting the best of him; all he wanted was Elena.