Chapter nine

Chapter nine

"Jeremy?" I threw the stake down on the ground and hovered over my brother's body. He blinked slowly a few times as if he were just waking up. His face was as pale as chalk and his lips were bone dry. Our eyes connected.

"Elena..don't." He tried.

"Don't what? Jeremy..."

"Elena, I can't hold him off."

"Jeremy, you can fight him! You can do this!" a tear fell on his black leather jacket.

"Elena, it's okay."

I couldn't accept that. There was no doubt in my mind that Jeremy could not fight him. There was no way I was going to lose my brother again.

"Elena, listen to me. I love you so very much. You're my sister, my only family left. You've always been there for me, always helped me, and always brought me to the light. Now I need you to bring me to the light again, but this time it will be different, this time you can let go and now that I'm happy and that I'm okay; I promise I will be. Elena, I couldn't have asked for a better sister," Jeremy cringed and grabbed his side.

"I can't hold him off much longer. I love you Elena. It's okay, I want you to."

"No, no, no, Jeremy! I can't," I sobbed.

"Jer, I've already lost you once, I can't do it again! I can't. I don't want you to go! You're all I have; PLEASE!"

Stefan slowly took Damon's arm and wrapped in around his shoulder and brought him over to my side. Damon fell to his knees; I took his hand and looked him in the eyes. He could see the hurt in my eyes, could sense that I could not take this again, but Damon could not do it. Damon was shattered inside from the beating. I glanced down to his hands and our fingers intertwined. I saw the blood on his knuckled and had to close my eyes for a moment. Stefan backed up and joined Caroline who was still unconscious on the floor. I grazed his hand with my thumb and then looked back to Jeremy.

"Elena, it's okay." Jeremy repeated.

"I love you so much," I paused.

"I-I know this was never supposed to happen. I was never supposed to be like this. Things could have been great for us both, you know. You could have grown up and had a family and lived out your life. This is my fault."

"No, Elena. This was not your fault, and I'll never blame you. I lived a good life, and I'll live an ever better one in heaven."

I stared into my brothers eyes with my head cocked to the side. My skin too was pallor, my lips were cracking and my hair fell over my shoulders. I sat so close, but felt so far away. Damon let go of my hand and Jeremy replaced it with his. I tried to hold back my tears, but I was never any good at that. Damon sat right next to me on the opposite side of Jeremy. He laid one hand on my shoulder to let me know he cares and to also keep me up right. I knew what I had to do now. I didn't want to, but there was no other choice. If Silas took back control of my brother we'd all be dead, and he'd roam the world imperishable. My poor, poor Jeremy. I think back to only a few years ago when we were in high school. My biggest worry was keeping him off the drugs and his biggest worry was getting Vicki to love him. Now I sit before him, my brave brother and have to do what's best for everyone. With one hand I gradually grip the stake. I look long and hard at it. My hand quivers and I bring it up to my leg. I start to sob loud enough for everyone to hear. Damon grips my shoulder. The room was silent.

"It's okay Elena, this is what has to happen, this is what everyone wants, and this is what I want. You have to." Jeremy squeezed my hand.

"I love you Jer." I whispered my voice almost unrecognizable.