Chapter 8: What's In A Name

Safiya collected herself before she knocked on Carter's office door. She rubbed her flyaway hair back down on her head and caught her breath after running up the three flights of stairs.

She tapped her knuckles lightly on the door hoping it was loud enough for him to hear but not Ameera.

"It's unlocked." He called for behind the door.

Safiya twisted the knob and flung open the door. "I'm sorry I'm late." She ignored him as he stood in the mirror fixing his collar around the pinstriped tie and cut across the room to the crib in front of the bookshelf in quick strides.

"I got my TA to go over the syllabus until I get there." He rubbed his hands down the red button-down shirt.

Safiya leaned over the crib, "How's my baby girl been?" She softly spoke caressing her finger down Ameera's puffy cheek. Safiya's smile grew bigger as Ameera showed her big dark gray eyes and kicked her little legs aimlessly.

"She's been good." He said.

Carter's voice hummed in Safiya's ear and she popped up, bumping into his shoulder. "Back up." She instructed.

Carter held up his palms, "Sorry. I was just..." He gestured to the crib. "She might be hungry 'cause her eleven o'clock feeding didn't go all that well." He pointed to the balled-up shirt on the couch.

"She threw up on you." Safiya scrunched her nose as humor played in her eyes. She leaned over the crib and scooped Ameera in her arms. "It's not nice to spit up on Daddy; is it?" Ameera puckered her mouth as she rested her head on Safiya's chest. "Even though he might deserve it."

Carter stopped loading empty bottles in the yellow polka-dot baby bag, "What did I do to deserve it?"

"Nothing?" Safiya held out her hand. "Really?"

"Yes! Really." Carter grabbed the little rabbit stuffed animal off his desk and pushed it in the bag. "I think she's tired of milk." He paid no mind to her outstretched hand and sat the bag strap on her shoulder instead.

"Ms. Ameera Grace isn't tired of my milk." Safiya patted Ameera's diaper padded bottom feeling the tightness in her breast letting her know it was Ameera's supper time.

Carter inched a little closer to Safiya connecting his eyes with the one-month-old's eyes. "Once you get some teeth, sweet girl—Daddy's going to introduce you to real food; not that liquid diet." He leaned over and pecked Ameera on the top of the head.

Safiya's heart skipped a beat as her breath quickened. She tried to quickly swallow her emotions. "We should get going." She rushed the words out faster than her gait to the door. "Thanks for watching her while I was in class."

"No, problem." Carter held back his tie as he bent over to pick his briefcase off the floor. "I had a great morning with Ms. Russell."

"Ms. What?" Safiya turned back holding the doorknob firmly. 

"Russell." Carter slapped the briefcase on the desk and popped open the lid. "As in Ameera Russell." He tossed in a textbook and notepad filled with scribblings.

"It's not." Safiya shook her head as Ameera clung her tiny hand around the collar of her shirt. "Her last name's Mendoza. Ameera Grace Mendoza." She clarified.

Carter's mouth gaped as his eyebrows knitted, "I'm her father. She should have my name."

"Look..." Safiya twisted the doorknob. "I'm not having this discussion. We're not married. It's not your choice."

"She's my child." He abandoned his spot behind the desk and neared her. "I want her to have my name. She's supposed to have my name."

"Who made that rule?"

Carter looked at her with bewilderment unable to come up with an answer. "I want her to know I'm her dad."

"And she will."

"Then why didn't you give her my name?"

"Cause you're not my husband."

Carter took a step back as his hand rubbed across his mouth, "Are you trying to hurt me?" Pinkness grew in the corner of his eyes. "You're punishing me."

"I'm not." Safiya warmly stated. "Honestly..." She rolled her watering eyes to the side. "When the nurse came by and asked me for the name...Mendoza just came out."

"Not Russell."

"No." Safiya shook her head slowly, "Not Russell." She read the wall clock behind him, "You need to get going."

Carter stared at her for a second longer then jerked around and looked at the clock. "I'm not done with this conversation." He advanced to his desk and shut the briefcase.

"I am," Safiya informed swinging the door open.

Do you think Safiya was right for giving Ameera her last name or should she have given her Carter's last name?

Will Safiya and Carter be able to co-parent in secret or is trouble bound to find them?