Chapter 11: Around the Table

Alyssa felt her phone vibrate in the pocket of her denim jacket. She kept her lips pursed on her straw as she pulled the cell out. She moaned with a quick eye roll as she read the name on the cell's screen.

"Ex-lover." Cairo joked dropping in the chair next to her.

Alyssa tapped decline and slid the phone back into her pocket, "No." She pushed the straw out of her mouth with her tongue. "Detective Jensen."

"For real." The name got Cairo's attention making him twist his chair towards her. "What's up? Is there a court date?"

"There's a court date." Alyssa rubbed her cold hands together swiftly still seeing the scar that was left behind another the stitches were gone. "But I don't want to talk about it."

"Talk about what?" Heaven asked leaning over the table and peeking past Cairo. She fixed the Puma cap on her head before propping her elbow on the table. "You have a date?"

Alyssa stared at Heaven for a second longer than needed then shifted her gaze to Cairo which turned steely. "Excuse me." She pushed her cup away. "But...I'm a little confused. Who are you?"

"Heaven." The girl brimmed a brilliant smile and held out her hand. "Heaven Stevens."

Alyssa dropped her eyes on the girl's hand and then reached for her cup, "Good to know."

Heaven tsked dropping her hand, "Be rude if you want."

"She's not good around new people." Cairo nudged Alyssa's arm with his elbow then patted Heaven on the back. "She's an acquired taste."

"Acquired taste," Trevor guffawed, sitting across the table next to Lela. "I don't think anyone gets used to the taste of lemon and ass."

"Lemon and what?" Cairo couldn't fight the grin that formed on his face.

Lela slapped Trevor in the chest, "Don't repeat that...ever."

Trevor closed his mouth and then shrugged.

Lela looked back down at the iPad on the Spring Tournament team registration screen, "Who's going to be our fourth teammate since Fiya's not here?"

Heaven raised her hand, "I'll do it."

"No." Alyssa gestured for the sophomore to lower her limb. "Daniel..." She snapped her fingers. "He can do it. He always hits strikes." She glared at Trevor.

"Daniel's back?" He collapsed back in his seat. " Good for him."

Alyssa smirked. "That's all you have to say. You're not worried."

"Lyssa stop," Lela ordered sharply. "Stop starting shit."

Alyssa held up her palms.

"I'll just put down Ariel." Lela typed the girl's name in. "She won't mind."

Music and the rumble of nearby chatter engulf the table Alyssa went back to drinking her passion fruit tea and Trevor watched Lela fill out the registration form.

Cairo scooted closer to Alyssa closing the gap of space that was between them. "Who's the guy Harmony's talking to?"

Alyssa rolled her eyes over the faces in the fairly packed building. He nodded his head to the left, just over Trevor's shoulder.

Alyssa planted her eyes on the guy who was making Harmony cover her mouth as she laughed. "I don't know." She took another sip of her drink. "But why do you care, you're over here with Dancing Queen." She flicked her eyes over at Heaven, who was talking to Lolli. "Are you jealous?"

"Me," Cairo smirked puffing out his chest. "I'm good."

Alyssa read his face with searching eyes, "Sure. You keep telling yourself that." 

Is Cairo getting a little jealous? Why is Alyssa so hostile to Heaven?