Chapter 7: What's Bothering You

Lela didn't know where to start after Sylvan asked her those three words. There were a lot of things bothering her. Three things to be exact but the third thing involved Safiya and Ameera so there was no way Lela was going to spill that canon. So, she was just left with the two.

Lela took a deep breath as she pulled herself onto the bay window. She glinted her eyes over at Sylvan, sitting behind the desk like always.

"Trevor wants me to move in with him." Lela gathered her hair that Safiya straightened last night, over her shoulder. "What do you think I should do?"

Sylvan pushed up the sleeves to her wheat turtleneck before placing her back against the chair, "It's not my place to tell you what to do...what do you think you should do? Are you ready to take that next step?"

"I mean...we are getting married." She glared at the engagement ring.

It took three days to give him an answer. They didn't stay in Aspen. She slew fear for a night and in the morning she had to get out of there. So, Trevor did as he promised, he took her to Hawaii. It wasn't until she sat on the beach, far enough away from the tide, that her mind was clear and she told him yes.

"But you don't have to move in with him now...you're not married yet," Sylvan added.

"So..." Lela tilted her head in Sylvan's direction. "You're saying I should wait."

"No." Sylvan shook her head faintly, not disturbing her midnight tresses. "I'm not telling you to do anything but take your time and make the best decision for Lela."

Lela huffed combing her hand down her hair, "I don't know what's best for Lela. I know I'm happy where I am...but I'll have to move eventually and when I move eventually I don't want to miss out on anything."

"What do you mean by miss out?" Sylvan fiddled with her pen. "Are you speaking of your friends?"

"We've lived together or near each other for about three years and Trevor's house is further and if I mean not there...then who'll look after Ameera—" Lela stopped and drew her bottom lip between her teeth.

Sylvan's forehead crinkled with confusion, "Whose Ameera?"

"A baby," Lela murmured training her eyes on the French doors ahead. She couldn't look Sylvan's way or her secret might slip. "My friend's baby." Lela hopped off the bench, slapping the soles of her sneakers on the hardwood. "I'm just stressing it'll be okay. Distance doesn't break friendships." She hustled to the door.

"Lela." Sylvan pushed her chair back and stood up. "Where are you going?"

"Pee break." She informed before yanking the door open and hurrying out.

What should Lela do? Should she move in with Trevor and wait?