Chapter 44: Before the Storm

Lela wasn't happy that her Geology professor's son fell off the jungle gym and snapped his leg in two places but she wasn't upset that the man that held a strong resemblance to Gandalf had to cancel the class. She grabbed up her books and stormed out of the class after signing her name on the attendance sheet.

She journeyed through campus with a smile on her face as the wild spring breeze kept the heated rays from the sun at bay. She made her way to T.U.G with one earbud in her ears so she didn't get caught up counting her steps. She picked up Ameera so Safiya could get to her class and then head back home.

Once Ameera was settled, Lela made herself a turkey sandwich—since funds were tight after bills were paid; sandwiches and noodle cups were all they could afford until payday. Eleven minutes later, with a full belly, she dozed off.

An hour and fifteen minutes later, she was on her feet with steam billowing her face and milk stains on her apron.

"Hey, Lela." Larry sidled next to her as she made the signature Jolt lighting bolt in the form of a latte.

Lela pushed the cap down tightly on the cup, "Don't hey me, Larry. I'm not a horse."

"Don't take offense." He pushed his hip off the counter and followed her back to the counter with hand combing back his tresses before putting the Jolt baseball cap on his head backward. "I wasn't trying to be rude."

"Caramel latte for Ana," Lela stated and a beautifully bald woman with flawless makeup came forward with a smile and her ear attached to her cell. She mouthed her thanks then skirted around the table.

"Enjoy your Jolt," Lela uttered the scripted salutation that met the woman's back. She let out a fulfilled sigh as she reduced the long line that greeted her when she clocked in. She could feel Larry's hot breath on her ear. She dropped her head to the side and rolled her eyes on the side he stood, "What do you need?"

He glanced down at the wide-face Fossil watch on his wrist, "Can you close tonight."

"Why?" She shielded her mouth as a yawn burst out. After that nap, she was still a little drowsy. It was a side effect of her medication. There was nothing she could do about it. "What are you up too?"

"I'm hosting the Student Council debate and I need to get ready." He scratched his beard, "So...will you?"

"Sure." She held out her hand.

Larry slapped the keys in her palm, "Thanks."

"Where's he going?" Gretchen asked tying the apron around her waist.

Lela washed her eyes over the dread-locked girl that still had braces. "A school function." She toyed with the end of her braid praying that another rush of caffeine-deprived people would flow in so the time would fly by instead of ticking slowly.

"When's the wedding?" Gretchen chipper asked as her toffee hand fell away from the bow around her waist.

"Next year."

"Am I invited?"

Lela blankly stared at the sophomore then let out a laugh. "I don't know...are you still hooking up with people's boyfriends."

"That was one time..." Gretchen tsked. "Okay... three but it was the same night and the girl wasn't my friend." She nudged Lela's shoulder. "But we're cool."

"Umhmm." Lela couldn't help but twist her mouth at the girl's logic. "Whatever you say."

The bell above the door jangled ending the girls' conversation. The figure standing at the door garnished all of Lela's attention. She could feel her heart throbbing as her hands perspired. She wanted to run to the back but the person had already seen her. She fixed the green apron neatly over her gray cotton form-fitted dress as the person approached.

"Hi..." Lela weakly spoke as Gretchen tossed an Altoid in her mouth. "Welcome to Jolt. What can I make for you, today?"

The black-haired, sepia-toned woman glinted her eyes up at the menu, "There's nothing I would want here." Gretchen's scoff yanked the woman's stern attention her way and the girl turned around to the make counter with her head dipped down.

Lela tried to swallow but her throat was dry. "Then why did you come all this way?"

"Because...dear..." The woman readjusted her silk collar, which was probably worth more than what Lela made in three months. "It's time for you to come home."

"I'm never going back there." Lela shook her head abruptly.

"You're grandmother's dying." The woman took a step back. "You're coming back. End of discussion." She flashed a tight smile that wasn't meant to be a show of warmth then turned on her heel and head out the café.

"Who was that?" Gretchen asked, breaking a sugar cookie in half.

Lela stole the other half of Gretchen's cookie, "Josephina Emery." She bit into the cookie. "My mother." 

Should Lela go back home? Should she go alone?