Chapter 41: Girl's Night In

It was Sunday afternoon and a smorgasbord of takeout covered the coffee table; there were two types of pizza, a platter of habanero buffalo wings, warm garlic-parmesan breadsticks, black bean jalapeno burritos, and boudin balls. It was Lela's idea to stay in all day since she and Trevor got back late Saturday night. Safiya quickly agreed since she didn't feel like getting Ameera ready and all the things that went along with keeping her baby happy while she went gallivanting with her friends. It was easy getting Alyssa to stay in the house although pulling her away from her books proved to be the complication but as soon as the spicy, cheesy aroma wafted up the stairs she trotted down to the living room. Harmony was already out since Caroline told her to have her office packed and cleaned before Monday morning. 

Music played from Harmony's phone while reruns of Girlfriends was on the flat screen.

"Turn it down. I like this episode." Lela said picking up a slice of pepperoni pizza from the paper plate resting on her lap.

Alyssa didn't move to pick up the remote that was by her thigh on the couch cushion, "We've seen this one five times." She sucked buffalo wing sauce off her thumb. "We could recite the lines."

"But please don't." Harmony chirped up, sitting on the floor with Ameera cradled in her arms.

"Give her to me." Safiya held out her arms, "She needs to sleep in her own bed. She's already spoiled enough." She placed the drowsy baby on her chest and advanced to the bassinet by the couch.

Alyssa watched Lela chew on the thick pizza crust, "So...when are you going dress shopping?"

"January," Lela stated, dropping the half-eaten crust on her empty plate. "But now since Trevor's funds are..." She twisted her mouth searching her brain for the right words. "Not as fluid as it was before."

"So, he's poor." Alyssa blurted.

"We shouldn't really be talking about money." Harmony interjected scooting up to the coffee table to see what she what made her mouth water most.

Safiya kissed Ameera's forehead then turned back to them, "I thought you said he has a 250k." She finger-combed her hair up and wrapped the tie around it. "That's still a lot of money."

Alyssa shook her head as she dropped her foot from the couch. "Not for a boy that spends money like water."

"Don't worry about it," Lela affirmed standing up, she tugged her cotton shorts down in the place where her thighs met. "I'm going to make him a budget and he'll learn."

"Alyssa, since we're on the topic of future endeavors I need to tell you..." Safiya started as she settled into the comfy armchair they got from Ikea. "That I had to interview Jacob and the article is coming out tomorrow." She quickly spat out then covered her mouth with her hand.

"You did what." Alyssa glared at her with fury.

Harmony and Lela looked at each other and then back at the other two.

"It was my assignment." Sincerity clothed Safiya's voice. "I had to. I'm an investigative journalist. I titled it The Friendly Predator Among Us." She tried to swallow but her throat was dry as Alyssa's black eyes seared her. "You can read it."

"I lived it." Alyssa bit out pulling her legs into her chest as she sat back on the couch. "I trust you, Fiya."

Lela blew out a heavy breath as she came back to the living room with a glass of sweet tea. "Do you know if you're going to testify?"

"I have a week," Alyssa informed gazing at the TV. "I'll decide then."

Safiya clapped her hands pulling all their eyes towards her, "Let's change the subject." She tapped her sock-covered foot on the floor. "I need to go on a man cleanse. Harmony you want to join me?"

"She needs to. Wes is dead weight." Alyssa blurted out. "Cut him loose already."

Lela swiftly slapped Alyssa's arm, "Shut up."

Alyssa peered at her with confusion.

"It's fine. I told him how I felt." Harmony stabbed the plastic fork in her burrito leaving holes like the one in her heart. She wondered if she should tell them the truth. They were her closest friends and she would expect them to do the same if they were in the same position. "He doesn't feel the same."

"What does that mean?" Safiya asked leaning in with her ears quirked up to hear more.

"He said he's not allowing me to break up with." She shrugged nonchalantly as if she was holding back anxiety tears. 

"That's not how it works," Lela affirmed.

"He's out of his mind." Alyssa insisted. "You told him it's over so it's over. Block him and move on."

"Allow you. He ain't your daddy." Safiya fumed. "You already have two. You don't need another."

Harmony slowly nodded knowing they were right but unsure if he'd abide by her wishes. She hoped she didn't have to do what Ariel suggested. She prayed it didn't come to that. "Enough about me. Wes is old news. Anyone else want to share?"

Safiya shook her head. She didn't want to divulge what went on with her and Carter knowing Lela was so close with their family. "Nothing to share but I think we order some dessert? I'm thinking a sheet cake and ice cream."

"And let's watch Wrong Turn?" Alyssa added.

The new plans for the night were made as they all tried to ignore the real-world problems that would be postponed until tomorrow. 

Will Alyssa regret not reading Safiya's article?

Will Lela's budget work for Trevor's spending ways?

Do you think it was wise for Safiya kept her little meeting with Carter and his wife to herself?