Chapter 4: Blast From The Past

Lela shivered as she tossed her art supplies in the backseat of the SUV. She didn't expect it to be this cold especially with the sun glowing brightly high above the jammed-packed student parking lot.

She shimmied out of the backpack loaded with textbooks that cost her a fortune, a fortune she was able to pay with her new scholarship from The Blackbird Foundation. She wrote an essay answering the question, what makes you beautiful. She didn't think her answer of strength, resilience, and the story of her life struggle was something Kieran Cosmetics, the company that founded the foundation, was looking for but she submitted it anyway. Lela thanked Harmony for insisting she apply for the scholarship because she won.

The cry of rubber snatched at Lela's attention as she let the heavy bag drop to the concrete. She bobbed back on the heels of her sneakers staring strangely at the black Chevy Impala with dark tinted windows.

The driver's side window slid down and she relaxed her shoulders as a wave of calm washed over her. It was the first day of classes, they probably wanted to know if she was leaving and wanted her parking spot.

"I'll be out in a sec," Lela affirmed heaving her backpack up and tossing it in the backseat with a loud groan.

"Lela." A heavy tone expressed with fondness. "I didn't think I'd see you this soon."

Lela missed the cold wind brushing against her back because then she knew it was what caused the chills that quaked down her spine. Unfortunately, the wind was still and she knew it was the voice that disturbed her body temperature.

Lela smiled oddly, "Daniel...you're back..." She didn't move but he did, opening the car door and hopping out. "Why?"

"I'm the backup." Daniel flexed his arm trying to show off the muscle that couldn't be seen underneath his hoodie sleeve.

Lela's eyebrows knitted, "Backup."

"Aunt Irene and Uncle Vince asked me to come," He scratched at his temple, the humor drained from his face. "To look after Lyssa, make sure she's okay."

"That's sweet of you," Lela swatted his arm.

The sun wasn't being a friend of hers; first, it wasn't producing its trademark heat and now it's light ignited the brilliance of her ring.

Daniel caught her hand before it fell back to her side, "Nice rock, Lee Lee."

"Thanks." She swiped her hand out of his hold and ignored the heat running up her arm.

"No one told me you were engaged."

"It happened before the break..." She toyed with the solitaire, princess cut diamond ring. "Winter break."

"So..." He threw up his hands, "Who's the lucky man?"

"Um..." She rubbed her nose and the sun intensified the shine of the ring pulling Daniel's eyes to it. She dropped her hand by her side. "Trevor."

"Trevor." Daniel blinked bewildered. "Trevor Voss." He gasped with shock taking a step back. "I thought you said he was an immature slacker with an overblown ego."

"Well...he's changed." She shrugged.

Daniel nodded with a slight smile. "I'd love to see this new and improved, Trevor Voss." He began backing up to his car. "We should do this again. Hang out." He winked before dropping is six foot four body into the driver seat.

"I'll tell Alyssa to set that up." She smiled then let it fade as he slammed the car door. "Damn, Lyssa."

Will Daniel be a problem for Lela's relationship?