The trap

Vulci Castle
Ball Room
9:00pm

The loud symphonies of the orchestra made the ball very lively. Many nobles danced into the rhythm and harmoniously swayed to the beat of the waltz. I,myself, was not an exception. I'm currently dancing with my escort because I'll be the subject of scrutiny if I don't follow the rules of court.

Once the orchestra finished a symphony, I gladly retreated the dance floor together with Auguste. I asked him to hide me from the crowd for a while and he obliged. After a very long time of searching around, we found ourselves in the garden and quietly walked our way.

I noticed a light in the middle of a maze and I stared at Auguste. He seemed to get what I thought. We decided to go where the light comes from.

Reaching where the light is, we hid in the bushes and looked at the couple who were sitting at one bench.

"You said you'll make me Queen! How can I be if you'll let my son marry the crown princess?!" An angry voice was very loud in the area.

I knitted my brows. Countess Sinclair is an ambitious woman. She wants to be Queen? It's ridiculous.

"Sssshhh! You are too loud." It was Earl Sinclair scolding his wife. "I got you out of the ball to discuss some important matters about the children and you're babbling that. What if someone hears you?!"

"No one will go here at this hour. It's already the time of the night, they're enjoying themselves there, my dear husband."

"I had this bad feeling about the princess ever since the last time we talked to her."

"You worry so much. That brat will definitely be gone a year or two, just like her aunt."

I clenched my fist. That statement alone indicates my aunt didn't die of a certain illness. They killed her.

"No. Do not underestimate her. How does she know I had the power to persuade other nobles? Even the Prime Minister who doesn't know about my influence over the court can't control them because they swore their loyalty to me. And that princess... How can she simply say she knows everything? My questions alone mean I need to be wary of her."

"That's why as early as now, we need to get rid of her. She'll only get on our way."

He paced back and forth."You're right. We need to do something to make her out of the limelight." He paused and looked at his wife. "How did her aunt die again?"

"Slow chronic poison."

"That seems like it, you really are a good wife." I saw him grinning from ear to ear while patting her head.

"And a good queen too." She chuckled loudly.

I silently scoffed. I've been poisoned more than once. Both of you cannot kill me, not of poison rather.

Auguste held my hand and quietly placed his lips at the back of my palm. He's comforting me. I know he still don't know about our secret. I need a lot of explaining after this.

All of a sudden, we were shocked to hear a loud rustling sound. The Earl stood up and looked around them. He held the lamp and started to go where's the rustling sound is. He grabbed a stone and threw it to its target.

A loud cry was heard. A small black cat got out of its hiding and ran away.

I saw the Earl sighed out. "The night is getting late. It will not be good for you to stay up late. I still need another heir in the household." He helped his wife stand up and got the lamp in his side.

We made sure to watch the light get near the castle before we got out on our hideout.

"Whew. I expected more of their plans to me." I said with a mocking voice. I am pretty sure they want to be the ruling family. Too bad I can't give it to you. I am a selfish person. I can't share the things that's rightfully mine.