Unexpected News

Author's note:
I will update as soon as I finish the chapters. But right now, my schedule is really busy, so there will be limited releases or none at all. Please understand.

Here's another chapter readers... Enjoy... 😊😊😊

******

Days after the Investiture, the news of the Earl being detained at the Northwest Tower was the hottest gossip at court.

The High Priestess publicized the reason for the Earl's detainment. The Count was accused of marrying a prostitute as his main wife. Marrying a dirty woman and elevating the status of a sinner is a taboo indicated in the writings of the Congregation. He is currently facing excommunication from the Fierron Church.

With this move of Merylla, she's dragging the status of the Earl to the mud. The once glorious and respectable image of the the Sinclair Household is now tainted with shame and disgust. One's reputation is more important than any position in court. Once the reputation is tainted, it will be harder to climb in officialdom in the future. His suspension is tolerable, but this accusation will drive him to the ends of his patience.

Also, Lady Adriana slapping Lady Myrthe was a popular topic among the ladies during a tea party Lady Charlotte attended this day. Many commended her action for disciplining an ill-mannered lady. Others just shrugged off their shoulders to not comment on the matter.

With a calm composure, I sipped the warm tea and moved a chess piece on the board. Randall and I were currently at my Private Salon playing chess. My ladies were in the antechamber working on some verse arts.

"Using other's hands to deal with the Earl... Her highness is such a crafty person." Lord Randall moved his Knight to attack my Pawn.

I chuckled with a delightful tone. "You should learn from me, dear cousin. Instead of just attacking the enemy continuously, one needs to learn how to wait."

My bishop ate his Knight. The expression on his face looked bad. I just penetrated his entire defense. "Sacrificing a pawn is better than losing the entire defense." I tapped the Knight for three times and it fell to the ground.

I continued talking. "Your father underestimated me too much. He's always into the attack mode, not considering my counterattacks. He didn't even thought that my entire defense will make his moves backfire at him."

"Your highness. Now that he's desperate, he'll call in the shots. At least now, he already figured out that you're behind everything. You will not be safe." He moved his Queen.

I grinned at him, making him fully apprehensive. "So what? Now that my plans are working the way I designed them, there's nothing to fear."

We exchanged a few more moves before placing my Queen to its designated place. He was about to move a piece when I uttered, "Checkmate."

"No way." He stared at me with a serious expression. "I was never defeated in succession in my entire life."

I softly laughed. "This is just the third game. You'll get better in the future."

He nodded his head. He stood up and walked towards the window. "So what will happen now?"

"For a few days, the Earl will be sent back to his fief. That will end his journey as a noble and as a person." I also stood up and followed him.

"He'll come back at you." He warned.

I turned my head to him and my expression was just calm. "The question is... will he survive?"