A Story of My Life Christmas Eve

Anne Twist was sat in the bedroom of her son's house in London brushing her hair while her husband, Robin, was already snoring softly in the bed. It was approaching 11 pm on Christmas Eve and she was reflecting on the lovely day they had just spent. The holiday was originally going to be just a small affair since they were leaving for a vacation in the Caribbean on Boxing Day. They didn't want to do a lot of prep and clean up when they were leaving the next day. Harry's girlfriend, Kassidy, was not able to accompany them on the trip because of her job obligations and had decided to give them all a 'proper Christmas', insisting that she do all the work.

*

The Twists had arrived at Harry's the evening before to find his house transformed. As they pulled into the courtyard through the security gate, Anne felt as if she were entering a winter wonderland. The normal shrubs and trees had been threaded with tiny white and blue lights that were twinkling in the twilight. A large fir tree, at least 20 feet tall, stood in the center of the grassy area. It was festooned with silver and blue metallic ribbons, ornaments, and more lights. It was flanked by two smaller, yet also substantial, trees decorated the same way. The low curbs delineating the garden areas were dotted with electric candles flickering in the non-existent breeze while real candles floated in the small pool. Giant shiny ornaments in red, green, blue and white were artfully scattered throughout the landscape. The first-floor windows and doors of the house were draped with heavy evergreen swags intertwined with more ribbon. Small potted Christmas trees in the same style as the main three were evenly spaced against the white walls of the house in between the openings, glimmering with more lights. The courtyard side of the security wall had not been neglected. More fir boughs interspersed with giant cones of ornaments draped the brick with tiny lights sparkling throughout. A giant wreath hung on each side of the gate.

Getting her overnight bag out of the car, she turned to see her son standing in the doorway a huge smile on his face. A strange whirring noise started from somewhere on the house and snowflakes began to fall.

"Mum!" he called as he walked out to greet her.

Hugging him tightly and kissing his cheek, she remarked about the beautiful decorations. "And it's snowing!" Harry held up the remote control for the snow machine that was mounted on the roof above the doorway, giggling.

"Harry, this is lovely. You've done a brilliant job of it."

"No, not me Mum. Kassidy did all this. Wait until you see the inside."

Robin joined them carrying the brightly wrapped Christmas gifts and Harry took their bags as they walked into the house. In the dining room, the usually bare walls were swathed with ribbon garland that matched the one in the large, but low, centerpiece on the table. It was set for five with a lovely black and gold plates that Anne recognized as a vintage Haviland Limoges pattern. Candles were burning in sconces along the walls adding warmth and light scents to the air, the flames reflecting in the stemware in the table. In every doorway was hung a tiny cluster of mistletoe tied with matching ribbon.

Anne eyed the mistletoe and then looked at Harry with an appraising look. He grinned sheepishly and said, "Yeah, the mistletoe was my idea." 

 He took their bags up to the first guest room while she and Robin walked into the lounge. There, in the corner stood a large Christmas tree adorned with more of the blue and white theme. Harry returned just then and bent to add the presents from the Twists to the pile already beneath the tree. There were coordinating Christmas themed pillows and soft throw blankets placed strategically around the room on the furniture. More greenery on the side tables and more candles in sconces on the walls. Every door and window was bedecked with boughs of fir and ribbons.