Story of My Life--Dunkirk Extra

"I'm going to miss you," Kacey whispered against Harry's chest as hd her close.

"I'm going to miss you, too but it's not for long and I won't be too far away. Maybe I can come home one weekend," he replied, stroking her hair.

Harry felt Kacey shudder slightly and heard a soft sob.

"I feel like I just got you back and now I'm losing you again!" she wailed.

She was trying to be calm. She really didn't want to make this harder than it already was but she couldn't hold back the tears. Kacey had known he was scheduled to leave for Dunkerque to film the movie. She knew it was a tremendous opportunity for him and that he had worked hard to win the role. Harry was excited about the part and had been preparing for weeks. He had even cut his hair, capturing the whole thing on film, moving and still, for a documentary and a magazine layout. Kacey knew all that but it didn't make it any easier for her to say goodbye to him.

Taking a deep breath, she swallowed hard and tried to compose herself. She looked up at Harry, staring at his face as if to memorize his features. He smiled at her and gently thumbed her tears away before bending to place a kiss on her trembling lips.

"I love you, Kassidy. I won't be gone long, I promise," he said. "I have to go now baby or I'll miss the train."

Kacey struggled to put on her brave face and force a small smile to her lips. She managed, but only just.

"I love you, Harry. Be safe and please let me know when you get there."

"Always, baby."

With a last soft kiss, he picked up his bag and headed out to the car where Andy was holding the door open for him.

*

Kacey headed straight to the small gym at the back of the house. She popped in her earbuds and turned on the treadmill, determined to 'exercise' her demons away. Her brain kept a running commentary over the sound of her One Direction playlist as she walked briskly.

'You knew he had to leave. Why did you make it harder than it had to be?'

'It's a Christopher Nolan film for goodness sake, not an episode of some cheesy TV series.'

'You're supposed to be supportive. Get a grip!'

Her phone buzzed insistently, interrupting the mental diatribe. It was a text from Harry.

"Hey baby. I'm on the train. I love you."

She smiled and sent a response. She could do this. She had plenty to keep her busy while he was gone. She had wanted to go with him but, while he didn't say no, she knew he was worried that she might distract him. He was nervous, and she did not want to make it worse. It wasn't even going to be that long but it was their first separation since the attack. Kacey wasn't really afraid to be home alone, she just wanted to be with Harry. He was her happy place.

Finishing up her workout, she turned off the treadmill before heading to the kitchen for a bottle of water. Sipping slowly while looking out the window at the rare sunshine, she decided to sit outside for a bit at the table in the courtyard. Snagging her laptop from the desk in the sitting room, she headed out the doors.

Kacey sat on a chaise longue next to the fountain. The sun, warm on her face, invited her to nap and she closed her computer, placing it on the table.

*

Harry was feeling good. The filming was going well and they had just completed some difficult scenes before breaking for a three-day weekend. He planned to do a lot of sleeping, relaxing and studying his lines over the next few days. He hadn't spoken with Kacey the last several days. She had some week-long writer's event in Scotland that she was attending. She had, apparently, agreed to be the guest speaker some months ago otherwise he would have asked her to come to France and visit him. He was disappointed but he understood; they both had obligations.