Chapter 19

Anne went home two days later having missed Robin terribly while in London with Harry and Kacey. As she left, she hugged and kissed Kacey inviting her to come and visit in Cheshire. Harry drove her to the train while Kacey stayed at the house. There were paps lingering across the street and next door at the pub, ready to catch them anytime they came out, so Kacey rarely did.

She puttered around, cleaning and menu planning and trying to find something to occupy her time between therapy appointments. Harry was gone every day to meetings and working in the studio. Kacey wrote thank yous to the doctors and nurses at the hospital for saving her. She spent some time with Laura on the phone, learning more about her financial situation. She was shocked at the vast amount of investments and property she owned; she was a very wealthy young woman. She went a little crazy online shopping after that phone call, ordering gifts for Anne, Gemma, the staff at the rehab center, Clarissa and Harry, of course.

One afternoon Clarissa called to tell her that the inspectors wanted to interview her about the night she was attacked. They had asked her to come down to the station to talk with them. Clarissa had rejected that out of hand and wanted to get permission to have them interview Kacey at Harry's house. Of course Harry agreed and they scheduled a time. Clarissa would be present and Harry rearranged some meetings to make sure he was available. They had agreed on the following Tuesday afternoon.

Harry had been very busy with several projects, which involved boring meetings, and writing songs. He was gone all day every day but he did manage to be at home most nights. When he had to go out, he always asked that Kacey join him. Whenever it was a business and pleasure mix, she declined. When he was simply socializing she went with him, enjoying the time out with him and his friends. He had bought her several more anti-pap scarves and she wore them religiously. It had worked; no pap photos of Kacey had yet made it into the tabs.

It was Friday morning and Harry was excited; two of his appointments had been postponed and he had the rest of the day free from obligations. He spent about an hour making the rounds of the florist, Kacey's favorite chocolatier and lastly to her favorite restaurant to pick up some lunch. Making it home, he opened the door and called out for her but there was no answer. With a dreadful sense of deja vu, he put the flowers and food in the kitchen and went to look for her. He was about to go upstairs to the bedroom when he heard music coming from the exercise room. As he got closer he could hear her pounding on the treadmill and he almost laughed at the song that was playing. He opened the door carefully to avoid startling her and, fortuitously, it was perfect timing to hit the verse.

Kacey saw the door opening and looked over to see Harry slinking in, doing some weird disco moves and singing loudly "I'm your boogie man, that's what I am. I'm here to do whatever I can; be it early morning or late afternoon or at midnight it's never too soon. To wanna please you, to wanna kiss you..." She giggled at his ridiculous dancing and waggling eyebrows. Turning off the treadmill she accepted his proffered hand and he twirled her into a perfect spin into his arms. They danced for the rest of the song until Kacey was laughing and breathless. He kissed her soundly as the song ended abruptly.

"Who would have thought you were a disco fan?" he teased.

"Hey now! The beat is perfect for my slow 17 minute mile pace. Don't tease, at least I'm faster than I was. Now smarty, what are you doing home?" she smiled up into his face.

"Meetings were postponed. Thought I'd spend the day with my girl. I brought lunch, are you hungry?" he asked planting a kiss on her forehead.

"Yes! I didn't have breakfast, just a cup of tea. What did you bring me?" she asked eagerly, realizing just how hungry she was.