Five

Changed into the pyjamas she wore last night, Freya took a seat on the couch and turned on the tv. 

Freya mindlessly flipped through aggravating infomercials selling lies, dull reruns, and the humdrum news before shutting it off again.

With nothing to watch Freya changed her mind about watching the tv and picked up the book she had been reading this past week, it was a childish story meant for readers half her age but she enjoyed the story anyway. More for reminiscing than any real literary gain.

Nearly at the end, the apartment door swung wide open and a rosy-cheeked Bryn stood in the doorway, bundled up in the ochroid coat she took off the rack a few nights ago.

Wherever Bryn had been these past few days she must have still gone to work Freya assumed seeing the Starbucks cup in her hand.

Pulling off her rain-soaked boots Bryn entered the room and handed Freya the extra cup she was holding to her surprise.

"Thanks." She said taking the cup.

The two friends sat silently on the couch.

Making the soft pitter patter of tonight's rain clearly audible through the glass windows.

"Where have you been?" Freya asked attempting to break the ice but her words barely nicked it.

As a response, Bryn shrugged her shoulders, still keeping her eyes on her drink.

"Pulling a Charlie Chaplin on me aren't you?"

The silence continued to tug at the both of them.

Finally to Freya's relief Bryn spoke, taking her lips off the lip of the lid. "Sorry I ran out on you. It's your choice if you want to date or not I shouldn't have forced you into it."

At this moment the quarrels they had meant nothing to Freya as she finally had her friend back home safe. 

Better than an improvised speech of forgiveness Freya pulled Bryn in for a hug.

When they released each other they Freya began catching up with Bryn

The both of them taking turns exchanging events on the sofa, the rain had ceased its commotion for the night.

"After I left I went to Starbucks for a drink to cool off I was going to return right after but then..."

Freya leaned towards her friend curious as to what delayed her from returning. Not much strayed Bryn off from her plans.

"Well, when I was there I actually met him." Bryn's cheeks started to gush a deep shade of red again.

Taking a wild guess Freya said, "Collin?" 

He was the man she had been promptly conversing with on Blind before she left.

"Yeah at first when he approached me I was little bewildered that he knew my name until he showed me his phone." She paused to take a much-needed breath. "It was then I realized I had been sitting beside him on the counter the whole night."

"It's like you guys were meant to be," Freya said wanting to hear the rest.

"He was on break for another hour so I just continued to talk to him and together we decided to cancel the coffee date and go on a real one to Glass Roots, that was where I was a few nights ago. I wanted to tell you after you got back but you were asleep and I had a really early shift and I wanted to give you some space." Bryn babbled without break. Her cheeks were even redder now Freya realized.

"Well, it seems you had a better couple of days than I did." Freya smiled.

"Spill." Now it was Bryn's turn to listen. 

Not wanting to lie Freya told her about the date she was going to have with Oscar tomorrow after the boring bits about having to refile all of Mr. Heyes's documents.

"You. Did. Not." She said each word its own sentence.

The best Freya could do was tug her pale pink lips into a smile and let her own blood flood into her cheeks. 

Freya just hoped she would be as excited about the date as Bryn was.

But thinking about it just kept making Freya nervous and fidgeting with a cube wasn't going to help. 

Not even in the slightest.

★★★

Word Count: 700

Exiled_Introvert 2017©️

Edited