Eleven

For these past few days, this single red coloured app had been connecting the both of them together and tomorrow it would be bringing them together.

Freya was thankful for Bryn's discovery, even though she didn't have any choice in the matter.

Earlier this morning she had sent Oscar a message and he had yet to respond.

Normally Freya was not the anxious kind but the waiting was becoming quite tedious and in a hair salon, all you do is wait.

Waiting for a free hairdresser to come to you whilst hoping its the good one.

Waiting for the hair snipping and brushing to end.

Waiting for the reveal in which you promise yourself you look perfectly fine and if not better than before.

The wait for Oscar's text was just an added bonus to usual bimonthly haircut regime.

She had been following it since she was little, hence why Freya's hair always stayed the same length but at least it didn't have any of those nasty split ends she and her mother always hated having.

In the chair beside Freya was Bryn, her Enligsh rose hair divided up, painted with brand new dye and wrapped up in silver tin foil like leftovers from an associate's dinner party.

Bryn had been rocking the cotton candy style for, months now and saw no reason to change it except to redye it again since it was fading from pink back to honey brown.

Freya liked her hair without the chemical dyes but it was not her choice and she knew whatever she said Bryn would ignore her and do the exact opposite of what she suggested.

While Freya continued to wait for a hairdresser, she couldn't help but switch from watching Bryn flip through a Christmas edition of a Vogue magazine and the thought of how around this time tomorrow, she and Oscar would meet face to face; no screens between them.

Would they connect as easily as they did online?

Was he really a catfish, a gold digger or even rich?

Did he even like her or did he continue because he liked that she humoured him?

Surely he had to from all the effort he put into chat with her, but anyone can send a text.

Even a robot.

Although he seemed interested enough, he had asked her on a date and was excited to meet her at Tembers tomorrow.

Paranoid, Freya did her best to recall the night she went to Sylva's, right before she left, who was at the tables?

Nothing came up, just blurs except for the dark hunched blob that was undoubtedly Lance in his suit in the corner seat.

Even with Oscar's many reassurances that he did stop by the restaurant on the very night, Freya knew she was right on time and if that was true he should have been there.

He should have been one of those men resting on the bent metal seats, scrolling through his phone, flipping through the day's news or even in a daydream, focusing on nothing but the rainy window and the mind's imagination.

But he was not there, he didn't care.

There was nothing holding Freya back from bailing if she wanted, she could just drop the whole matter and move on forgetting the matter as a whole.

But that meant that she would be letting him down yet again and Bryn would most likely be devastated by Freya's choice although she would have no say in the situation, no matter how much she wanted Freya to live a happy life and be loved by someone that was not just a friend or family.

Her friend meant well, maybe even a little too well.

But could two people really find, not true love but appreciation for each other with an app?

A review can easily be forged and stories can be made up by mad storytellers but what about those that aren't.

Would her story be one of those true ones others like to imagine will happen to them, a happily ever after tale she would one day get to tell her children about?

Freya understood that right now she was at a crossroad and that whatever direction she was going to go in would lead to an ending she'll either love or loathe.

But different from Dorthy she didn't have a scarecrow show her the right way.

If you truly know what's best for you don't need a map to lead you, in fact, it might trick you into leading you astray.

Hearts are practical, yes they may be breakable but they are always going just like you should.

Listening to her mother Freya took a deep breath and picked her path.

Whoever Oscar was or wasn't Freya didn't care, she has made a promise and now she was going to go through with it.

"Date night, here I come."

★★★

Word Count: 835!

Exiled_Introvert 2017©️

Edited