Nine

Taking a seat on a metal bar stool, Freya waited for Bryn to come over.

Her shift completed, Bryn flipped opened the dark mahogany counter and left the rectangular barista cubical, green apron still tied behind her back. 

Using both hands, Bryn walked over to Freya, carrying a recyclable brown paper tray.

Placed snuggly in the circular holders where two identical red festive paper cups with steaming hot chocolate and a generous amount of whipped cream and chocolate chips on top. 

"Care for a sugar rush?" Putting her arm out Freya grasped the cup Bryn handed it to her with a smile.

"Thanks." 

"No problem." Bryn waved her off. She had been giving Freya free drinks nearly every time she visited and every time her guilt grew for taking it, but never enough to decline.

"Has anything interesting happened today," Freya asked, wondering what kind of drama took place at a coffee shop.

"Nothing much, but..." Bryn drawled on, "As I was opening up a lady was waiting outside and she was really drunk so she threw a fit about wanting a coffee and how we weren't 'open at five in the fucking morning.' ."

"Did you call the police?" Freya said in a serious tone, caring about her friend's safety more than the lady's burst.

"Yeah, they arrested her so that was that." She finished gulping down the drink, leaving only a thin whip cream mustache as evidence. "How's cubical life?"

"Same old paperwork, nothing interesting." Freya lied, not wanting to tell Bryn about how she stupidly confronted him this morning. "And don't say that word like it's a disease."

"What cube-bic-cal?" Bryn said with a sideways smirk pronouncing every syllable before wiping off her make-out bandit mustache of cream with a napkin.

"You work in one too," Freya said while taking a napkin for herself.

"Correction it's called a rectangal," Bryn announced putting her pointer finger in the air, attracting the attention of waiting, customers.

"Don't think that's a word genius." Freya pointed out swivelling around to dispose of her cup in the three cut out trash basin.

"My spidey-senses tell me that your redonkulous," Bryn laughed and attempted to throw her cup directly into the slideways slot, it fell in. "A rectangal is a real word, you search it up genius."

"I'll put it on my list."

Wool coats buttoned up to the collar and bags secured around their shoulder, Freya and Bryn left the coffee shop seats in exchange for the nearby park's lovely, frost covered benches.

Brushing off the slates of ice the two friends settled down, both un pocketing their phones and checking their messages.

An ecstatic squeal erupts from Bryn's reddened mouth, she jumps up unable to believe the digitally written words in front of her hazelnut eyes.

"Collin just asked if I could invite you and your boyfriend to our next date!"

Freya wished she hadn't drunken all of her hot chocolate, right now a spit shower seemed the best response. Doing her best to improv Freya gave Bryn an N and an O. Adding a shake of her head and a hand slash to her exposed neck.

A whoosh came from Bryn's phone, heart heavily pumping she leaned over to view her friend's 'slightly' cracked screen.

***

Collin Easky

Confirmed Match

Duble date with you're roommate?

Tottaly!

What she say?

She's tottaly fine with it!

Grate were she want too go? 

I'll ask her!

***

Trying to enlighten the moment and to drive her self away from thoughts of chopping off Bryn's fingers one by one Freya commented on Collin and Bryn's grammatical errors.

"Well, at least your both on the same scale when it comes to your literary education and usage of autocorrect."

"So where you want to take Oscar, grammar police?" Rolling her eyes Bryn tapped her right foot on the rocky pavement starting what seemed like the beginning of a tap number.

"Tembers."

"Done," Bryn said looking up from her phone's nearly incompressible keyboard from all the miniature fractures from accidental slips.

Taking some timed breaths Freya let Bryn lead them back to their apartment.

Not only would she be going on her first date in months, but she was also going to be meeting Oscar with two illiterate twenty-year-olds in tow like a mother duck.

This Sunday was going to be an interesting one.

★★★

Word Count: 750!

Exiled_Introvert 2017©️

Edited