04. Of Wishes And Picks

"Guess I'd rather hurt than feel nothing at all."

AFTER EXITING EIGHTH period the next day, I walked down to my locker and I came across Jace on the way.

"Eiffel," His dimpled smile beamed at me as I waved at him.

"Hi, Jace," I gave him an equally bright smile and then remembered what happened at lunch yesterday. The way I'd left the cafeteria without giving him an explanation.

"I'm so sorry I ditched you like that yesterday," I apologized to him.

"You don't have to apologize," he waved this off. "I forgive you,"

"You forgive way too easily," I teased, adjusting the sling of my bag over my shoulder.

"That doesn't make me any less curious," Jace said. "What exactly happened to you?"

"Um, I just remembered something sad," I came up with a quick lie. "I get pretty emotional sometimes,"

"Hmm," he nodded, briefly looking down at his converse shoes. "I understand what you mean,"

"You get emotional too?" I asked before I could stop myself.

"Me? Hell no," The expression on his face made me giggle. "Guys don't get emotional. I was talking about my mom,"

"Oh," I realized.

He shrugged. "It's not much of a big deal, though. Don't worry about it."

I gave him a slight smile.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow," he said with another smile of his.

"Yeah," I replied. "Bye."

He nodded and began to walk down the hallway. I headed to my locker and I put some of my textbooks in it. I closed the locker after this was done, but as I turned around to walk away, I collided with lean, hard muscle.

I had already started to apologize, but this apology was cut short when I looked up and the person standing before me was Shawn.

My foolish heart skipped a beat.

"Sh-Shawn," I stuttered, staring up at him in awe.

His tall frame towered over my petite one and he looked breathtaking as usual. Dark clothing. Black boots. Prefect hair.

"Eiffel," he acknowledged my presence.

My cheeks reddened at the sound of him saying my name and I quickly looked down at my flats before he noticed this.

"Is your dad feeling better now?" I asked, looking up.

"Yeah, and he enjoyed your mother's cake too,"

I smiled slightly, tucking some loose curls behind my ear.

Shawn thrust his hands in the front pockets of his jeans and spoke, "On Saturday, my family's going to that lake house of ours that's just across town. We intend to spend the weekend there," He took a deep breath before continuing. "Do you want to come?"

"Really?" My heart fluttered and I hoped that I didn't sound desperate.

Shawn rocked back on his heels and shrugged, "My mom thinks it'll be a great idea for you to come,"