23. Of Wishes And Icicles

"Love is a promise. Love is a souvenir. Once given, never forgotten. Never let it disappear."

~ John Lennon

▫▫▫

It took me a week to get used to the fact that both my best friends were a couple now. I sat with them at lunch, watching as they both acted like it was Valentine's day. I felt sort of left out and the only person who seemed to be in the same shoes as I was Tanner.

He looked at the distracted couple and then at me, "When did Jynelle happen?"

"About a week ago," I shrugged, biting into my burger.

"Wow," was all he said and Jace's voice joined in our conversation.

"Are you guys going to be free on the day after tomorrow?" He asked us.

Tanner glanced at me and I said, "Yeah, I am. Why?"

"Because, I'd for you both to attend my little sister, Bree's first birthday party,"

"She's one already?" I awwed and Jace nodded.

The bell rang and Tanner and I decided that we were going to be present at Bree's birthday party. Tanner walked me out of the cafeteria and since we both were having the same class, I walked to the classroom with him.

We were already engaged in a conversation with him when I noticed that we'd just passed Shawn. I looked back at him over my shoulder, wondering why he didn't say hi. I realized I hadn't said so too.

Tanner turned back to look at him too and Shawn's glare was pretty visible from the distance and Tanner looked away, an emotion - similar to that of Shawn's - flashing in his eyes.

"Are you like, friends with that guy Shawn Mendes?" Tanner asked me as we climbed up the stairs.

I swallowed, telling him the same half-truth that I'd told Lynelle a couple of weeks back. "Our mothers are friends, so I guess you could say we're friends too. Is something wrong with that?"

Tanner shook his head, "It's just that I don't understand why he seems so overprotective of you. You aren't dating him, after all,"

I swallowed again and mumbled something incoherent but Tanner didn't ask me to repeat what I'd just said, because we'd already gotten to our classroom.

There were quite a number of students in the class, but a purple-haired girl stood out. Tanner led me to the back of the class where we both decided to sit in the vacant seats there, but before we were fully settled, Stephanie sauntered over to us.

Her immodest dressing was to the maximum as she was only clad in a mini skirt that drew attention to her smooth legs and a low cut tank top that revealed almost all of her cleavage. She was the only person I knew who wore things this skimpy when winter was approaching.

I hope she gets icicles on her butt.

Stephanie planted herself on Tanner's desk and the blond boy looked up, words not flowing. But with a flip of her purple hair, Stephanie rescued him from his state of speechlessness.

"Hey, gorgeous," She said to him, taking her red painted bottom lip between her lip in a way that she thought was seductive.

Tanner swallowed, stealing a glance at me, but I buried my head in my notebook instead.

"Look at me," She said, turning his face towards hers as she threw me a not-so-subtle glare.

"Look, Stephanie," Tanner found his voice. "I think you should just go. I don't like that you're making Eiffel feel uncomfortable,"

"Since when did you start to give a fuck about the bitch?" She snarled, the unpleasant words leaving her mouth.

"Since when I realized that you're the actual bitch," Tanner replied smoothly.

Stephanie gritted her teeth and stood up from Tanner's desk. "You're letting her brainwash you, Tanner. You're letting her lead you to believe that she's innocent,"

"Would you please just go?" Tanner asked, the exasperation ringing clear in his voice.

"Fine." She said through gritted teeth. "But I'll be back, for both of you."

And with that, she returned to her seat, just as the teacher walked in.

▫▫▫

On getting home, my mom was eager to tell me that the Mendes' had invited us for dinner on the day after tomorrow.

Normally, this would have brightened my day but it only brought a scowl because it was a shame that we were to have dinner with the Mendes' on the day that I was supposed to attend Bree's birthday party.

"Is something wrong?" My mom asked, noticing the fall in my face.

I explained to her my dilemma; how I would need to choose between my best friend and my boyfriend.

"Oh," She realized, sinking into a couch. "Maybe you'll attend Bree's party for a while and then come down to the dinner. I'm sure they'll understand,"

I nodded slowly, thinking about it and decided it was a good idea. I wouldn't have to forfeit one for the other after all. After planting a pink-lipped kiss on my mom's cheek, I headed upstairs to decide on what outfit I was going to wear.

Little did I know that the dinner was going to be biggest shift in my relationship with Shawn.

A/N: I'm so sorry for this short filler-like chapter. I needed to build some anticipation for the chapters ahead which I assure you are going to be interesting.

So please vote, and share this book with as many people as you can. Also comment on your favorite thing about "All She Wishes" because I'm curious to know why y'all love this book so much.

I'll be right here with my eyes glued to my phone as I wait for your heart-warming comments. You're the best, guys! I love you all so much! 😘😘

Keep reading!