09. Of Wishes And Accidents

"I hate feeling that I really love someone, but he's in love with someone else."

▫▫▫

"Eiffel Perrin and Lynelle Shelton will be study buddies for the test." Mr. Patterson had said.

I turned back immediately and Lynelle gave me a small smile, while Shawn just scowled before sinking lower into his chair.

I weighed the pros and cons of this situation I had suddenly found myself in.

Pro one. Technically, Lynelle was book smart and so was I. If my brainpower came in contact with hers, we both had a good chance at acing our test.

Con one. I would have have to spend an entire week with Lynelle - the girl who possibly attempting to steal Shawn away from me. Do not get me wrong, I wasn't holding anything against her. I just wanted her to stay at least a thousand feet away from Shawn. That wasn't too much to ask, was it?

Pro two. I could dig up some clues to know if Shawn and Lynelle were actually having an affair. It sounded obsessive and crazy, but I was desperate to know.

Con two. Shawn didn't seem too happy about it. And like you would have figured out, I would do anything to make and see him happy.

Pro three. I could actually get to see the real Lynelle and not just what I thought she was.

I sighed, thinking all of it over. The pros were definitely more than the cons so I concluded that I could actually scale through this, regardless of the cons.

Relief washed over me when the bell rang and the class dispersed. Jace and I parted ways after a quick agreement to meet up at lunch.

"Eiffel," someone called from behind me and I turned back to see the smiling face of Lynelle.

"Lynelle," I gave her an equally bright smile, even though it was slightly forced.

"I'm glad we're study buddies," She told me in that sweet voice of hers that probably attracted boys to her. "But I'm afraid I won't be able to come over today so we can study,"

"Oh, it's okay," I assured her. "I'm pretty occupied after school today too,"

"So, we'll see tomorrow?" Lynelle asked hopefully.

I nodded. "We can meet up at my place,"

She seemed to think about this for a while. "That's okay. Text me your address, then,"

"I don't have your number," I reminded her.

I mentally punched myself for being jealous and exchanged numbers with her, after which I headed to my literature class.

▫▫▫

Cool breeze fanned my face as I walked out of the school building to the students' parking lot. It was nice to finally get out of the confinement called school.

Jace was waiting for me in his parking lot. He was leaning against his small car with his hands cradling his phone as he typed into it.

Jace looked up and smiled when he saw me.

"I didn't keep you waiting, did I?" I asked, walking over to the passenger's side.

"I only got here a few minutes ago," he told me, reaching for the passenger's door so her could open it for me.

Shawn never did that.

We got into the car and drove out of the premises. I was excited to meet Bree, even though I'd only heard about her today. I could literally picture her in my head. Bright blue eyes like Jace's, soft curly brown hair, tiny feet...

"We'll just pick her up from the crèche," Jace said, briefly looking at me before turning back to the road.

I nodded and twiddled with my fingers until we got the Bree's crèche. Jace parked on the other side of the street and told me to wait in his car while he went in to fetch his sister.

Ten minutes passed and I started to wonder what was keeping him. I decided to wait another ten minutes and if by then, he didn't show up, I would go in and look for him.

I practically counted the seconds until ten minutes had passed. I was itching with worry as I carefully climbed out of his car. The only thing I had in mind was to find him.

I was already crossing the street when I saw at the entrance of the crèche with baby Bree in his arms. I heaved a sigh of relief.

"Eiffel! Watch out!" He shouted, and it was only then that I realized that I'd been standing in the middle of the street the entire time.

Something hard rammed into my side and I fell to the tarred ground, my head smacking the floor painfully. A gasp escaped from my mouth and only a glimpse of a bright light was the last thing I saw before the world faded into a sickening darkness.