27 - Moment of truth

A/N: Just a little author's note -- we are 4 chapters away from the ending, so you might as well get ready for the pain that's coming in. (Actually, I haven't written the following chapters when I wrote this note, but I'll try to make you really hate Summer.) But of course, there still would be the love stuff coming in. Don't worry though, nothing inappropriate xD

27 - Moment of truth
----- ----- -----

"Your mom thinks you don't like Elijah?" Kayleigh exclaims after I told her everything in person the next day.

I nod. "And guess what else she said?"

"What?!" Kayleigh asks me impatiently.

I take a deep breath. "She thinks I like Ethan."

Silence fell upon us. Then Kayleigh asks, "Do you?"

"I don't know!" I yell. "This is bad, this is so bad...Elijah is my boyfriend, yet I don't like him anymore, and it would seem like I'm cheating on him, ugh. And then I crushed on Elijah for years and now I'm going to ditch him for his brother...."

"Wait, slow down, Al," Kayleigh says, holding up her hands.

"I don't know what to think," I say, just as my phone rings.

"Sorry, Al, wrong number," Dad says, and I hang up.

That's when I see all the notifications popping in.

"You have a load of Twitter notifs," Leigh remarks.

I view my timeline. I notice some people I follow are @ing me.

Actually, it seems like everyone is talking about me.

Not just me, however.

Ethan too.

"You know that girl Ally? I think Ethan likes her. Or she likes him. Or they're dating."

"Something's going on with @/BandiRue and @/ally_kth"

"@ally_kth Can you and Ethan Best be my parents please"

"tbh guys i think the Ally girl e'ry1 is taking about is Ethan's girlfriend"

"Ethan's gIrLfRiEnD fOlLoWeD mE"

"How are you guys even sure Ally is Ethan's girlfriend?"

"Why is everyone talking about Ethan and Ally?"

"I ship #ALTHY or #ETHLLY"

"Wait I thought Sketch is dating Ally?"

"Yeah but I low key think Ethan has a crush on Ally"

"This Elijah-Ally-Ethan drama is too much, it's ruining the fandom"

"@ally_kth Are you and Sketch really dating or is it you and @BandiRue?"

Now what kind of tweets are those?

"See? The fans ship you too! They think that you and Ethan are dating," Kayleigh says, and I flush a deep red.

"Admit it, Ally," she says. "You know you like Ethan. You feel it."

I sigh. Do I? Do I really like him?

Nah.

Yes.

No.

Yup.

Ugh, what do I feel about Ethan?

You like him, now shut up, my heart says.

Frick you, heart, for falling for him, then.

"I like him!" I shout all of a sudden, startling Kayleigh. "I freaking like Ethan!"

"That was beautiful," Kayleigh says, wiping a fake tear from her eye. "Ladies and gentlemen, the moment of truth."

"This is bad, this is bad," I mutter. "I can't like him! What about Elijah?"

"Let's ask the readers," Kayleigh says, glancing at the left. "What do you think she should do with Elijah? Hmm...okay. Excellent choice."  She looks back at me. "What?"

I raise my eyebrow. "What readers?"

She just waves her hand vaguely. "Ahh, you know. I just happen to have this thing of breaking the fourth wall. It's easy, if you practice. But anyway!" She smiles. "The readers said that you should break up with Elijah."

"What? No!" I exclaim. "Honestly, Leigh, I still like Elijah a bit. Not as much as I like Ethan now, though." Oh my gosh it feels so weird calling Ethan my crush than it was calling Elijah my boyfriend.

"But you feel like you being Elijah's girlfriend is wrong. But you still like him. So you decide."

I bite my lip. After a minute, I reply, "Break up. It's risky; he would get mad, it would be hard to explain it to him, and the fans might think I'm a sort of cheater. But I'll try." I grin weakly.

"You go guuurl!" Kayleigh cheers. "I'll drive you to his place first thing in the morning."

Oh crap I already feel the butterflies coming in.

A/N: thanks for reading!