Chapter 1: The Diner

Jade's POV: 

         52nd....53rd...54th....

  The signs whizzed past me as I barreled down 1st Street. I felt the pavement under my feet cut into my skin. Must keep going, I reminded myself. For I know the pain of the rocks is nothing compared to what lied ahead of me.

     My stomach grumbled, I sighed, knowing I was too weak to continue on. I placed my hand on my wiry, bony frame, and felt my rib cage protruding through my baggy hoodie. I had to eat. A block ahead I spotted a busy diner and stopped there. With its capacity, no one would notice a beaten, mangy girl. I ordered a burger and lied down on a booth. I felt my arms throb, and looked down at the pale, purplish skin, and rolled up my sleeve to find a bloody mess. The skin was scratched, cut, and ragged, however on my other arm lied a series of finger shaped bruises, ranging from green to black. I winced at the sight. I deserve this, I thought to myself. 

     "Your order miss." The waiter said as he set down my plate. I glanced upward suddenly self conscious, and covered my arms. I hope he didn't see anything.

      I slowly met his eyes, and looked at him, taken aback by his features. He had luscious, golden locks tied back in a messy bun. Skin speckled with numerous freckles, eyes intelligent, yet kind and gentle. He looked a little older than me, but still had a boyish appearance. I sadly frowned, and looked away dejected. There is no chance of a friendship.

"Excuse me miss, you there?" His voice dispersed my thoughts.

"Huh, oh yeah, thanks for the food!" I replied. His voice had a funky accent, New Jersey-ish with a New Yorkan flair. 

"No problem" he said before adding "name's Anthony by the way."

"Jade" I responded abruptly.

"Well Jade you have a nice day!" He left, but not before shooting me a smile.

Anthony, I thought to myself, Anthony.