Chapter 9: Rekindling

I know the number one rule living in New York is to not follow a stranger. No matter how kind or friendly Lin seemed, I still could not bring myself to trust him-- even though he looked like a man-child. Instead I quickly made up an excuse about homework and bolted. I cannot even begin to fathom a life where adults actually care about me. 

I decided to take the long route back to the Orphanage or as I am starting to call it, "the hole." By now I have lost any chance of leaving and have given up. My stash of painkillers has run out and the only food I actually eat are raisins. On the way back to the Hole, I passed an intriguing store. "T-Mobile" the sign read. Plastered on the window was a colorful sign, beckoning to me like a warm beacon.  "Help wanted. Phone Service Included." I smiled, maybe somewhere in the universe the stars aligned for me. I desperately needed a new phone as my old one had burned in the fire that seemed so long ago. The fumes that had consumed  my old life whole leaving nothing but ash scattered on top of my already confusing life. Anyways, more than anything I needed to text Anthony. He was my only friend, that is, if he even remembers me. 

Dismissing any thoughts of loneliness, I headed inside the shop and was greeted with a friendly face. 

"Hi! How may I help you." A kind soft-spoken woman asked from behind the counter. 

"I a-am here for- uh the uh job application." I stammered out

The lady just chuckled as if she enjoyed my lack of social skills. 

After a series of interview questions, she gave me the job. As a perk, I was even allowed an iPhone 7. I chose black so Regena and her lackeys could not see it as easily. Beaming, I left the store excited to have a past-time to get my mind off things. I proceeded to walk home but decided to text Anthony. I punched in his number, remembering it as it was the only one I had on my old phone. 

Hello I first typed out. No, too stalkerish, I erased it

Jade: Hey it's Jade, not sure if u remember me? Srry I haven't answered ur messages my phone broke and  I had to get a new one :(

I sent the text and prayed he still wanted to be my friend. More than anything I needed a friend.

--------- *---------

Anthony's Pov:

I woke up from my nightmare. Drenched in sweat. My heart was pounding. I can't believe I had that dream again. It's been plaguing me for months. 

"Goodbye Ant. I am leaving" her voice still rang in my ears. I still cannot get over the fact that she left me, on the day of graduation to be exact. Her name was Naomi. She transferred into my class from Puerto Rico senior year. Light skinned, and beautiful brown hair. I asked her to prom and our relationship started. I thought she was happy, I know I was. I think I was in love with her, but of course my teenage mind didn't know it. Then one day, the incident happened.

I was snapped out of my train of thought as my phone lit up, encompassing the entire room with its electronic glow. A signal for impending doom.

Unknown:  Hey its Jade not sure if u remember me? Srry I haven't answered ur messages my phone broke and had to get a new one :(

Woah, she is alive! I was beyond stunned, shocked even. The girl from the diner, Jade. She was a total bean. But then I remebered the photo. My hands immediately dialed Lin. "She's alive" was all I said before my phone died

A/N: cryptic... sorry

Anyways. This fanfic is #73 out of like 900 in foster care which is huge!!!! I didn't really have hope for this story, but I will get on with the plot really soon I promise. This has given me motivation. Luv you all <3