Chapter 10: False Hope

Today we had a new visitor coming to "adopt." The warden said this guy was different. Apparently he was some entertainment hot-shot who was just looking to see if any of the kids "stood out to him." He's probably some egotistical arrogant millionaire who wanted a charity case to show the media. I really was not looking forward to this blind interview. Again, the Orphanage wanted to make sure everyone got an equal opportunity to be adopt, regardless of race. For an organization willing to go to such lengths to give everyone a chance to survive, I wondered how they could put the warden in charge. The woman was literally satan reincarnate. 

I walked downstairs and waited in line to go to the interview chamber. Regena and the minions were whispering about the mysterious man being super rich.

"He will definitely adopt me. Who wouldn't want the most gorgeous child ever. We could walk the red carpet and be the perfect family!" Regena bragged in her snobbish voice. Hearing her one more time really motivated me to do well in the interview. I just wanted to leave this place for good. I went from a house with abuse to an orphanage with metal abuse, my life had reached an all time low. 

As the buzzer beeped signaling for me to go in, I prayed that this interview would go well.

"Heyooo!" a cheerful but modulated voice rang out from the other side of the intercom. I guess this celebrity did not want people to recognize him. I was pretty sure all of the girls would have tried to act like pretentious brats if they knew he was famous. 

"Hi" I replied, mustering up the  little confidence I had left. 

"So I know this whole interview thing is awkward and stuff but tell me a little bit about yourself."

Why did this guy have to ask so many question. Oh well if this was my only chance I might as well use it to the fullest. I took a sharp, deep breath and began. 

"...I like to read in the park and my favorite food is burgers" I finished. Only leaving out my name because I did not want a repeat of last time.

 "Cool cool I know a great burger joint near 46th street" He said light-heartedly. "If you could meet one famous adult in the world right now, who would it be?"

"No one" I replied coldly. "I don't trust adults."

"Why not?" he asked, the modulation revealing the sadness in his voice.

"The only adults I've ever known are not the type I would want to talk to. I think the only person who might've actually been nice was this guy I met in the park. He had the cutest dog ever like in the whole world. We played fetch, but then I bolted. So yeah, I don't like to trust adults--"

"Ok thank you, I'll let you know the verdict" he quickly said, cutting me off.

That was rude. I solemnly left the chamber and ignored the bleak stares of Regena. I just blew my last chance of a new life. All I wanted to do was go to my bed and cry.

After about an hour the warden came into my room. 

"What do you want" I sneered.

"Oh sweety, please pack your things honey, you've made it." She said in the most sugary-fake voice ever. 

My eyes buldged as I realized what she just said. 'i've made it" as in, I got adopted. YESSSSSSS!