Chapter 6: The Orphanage

Belt raised, Mr. Johnson cornered me. Predator ready to attack prey. Then the alarm went off, startling him.

 Jade's  POV: 

The belt instantly the ripped into my skin. Searing pain shot through me, reopening previous cuts, bruises, and lashes. I felt a wet fluid trickle down my back, arms, and stomach. Ow this is going to hurt tomorrow.

My mind lapsed back into reality and I heard the alarm. Ha, I almost laughed. The dimwit had poured alcohol on the stove and now flames engulfed the kitchen. Luckily this distracted him, as the fire spread to the counter. I sprinted into my "room" and grabbed my rough pack. I had started saving essentials and possessions in some torn bed sheets. I looked at the little space, and prayed that its the last time I have to see it. 

I rushed out and bolted towards the front door. I was almost there when I crashed into someone's chest. I looked up to see none other than Jake. "Where do you think your going? Huh?" he sneered.

"Outta mah way Jake!" I snapped and pushed pass him. A new sense of freedom made me slip back into my New York accent, instead of the fake innocent tone I use with the Johnsons. I unlocked the five padlocks and slipped outside, the air stung my face. My eyes were immediately alert. Why are there no fire trucks? Oh right, the house is soundproof. Oh well, if the house burns, then it is karma. I started to jog down the street, but the lashes and searing pain, made it difficult. I had no more first aid kits. I guess I am living on the streets now, there is no way I am going back to the Johnsons. I will be ripped apart. I set off toward the park, the streets will probably be an upgrade, from what I'm used to. 

I made my way to the park, but spotted a police car. I immediately broke into a sprint the other way. Cop cars are always bad news, no matter what. I slowed down, only once I was a good distance away. 

"Are you okay?" I spun around to look at the man who spoke. He was wearing a blue uniform decorated with gold medals, and on his head was an unmistakable blue hat. Silver hoops dangled from his belt and a tazer was on the other side. Shoot. The cop looked at me and then at my "bag." "Don't worry, you're not in trouble." He said. Oh yes I am. I had no choice but to stay, if  I ran he would just follow, and I would get more questions. "I am going to need your name, and your parent's phone number."

"I don't have any." I forced out.

"Oh uh I'm sorry-"

" Ha for what?" I cut him off. "What could you have done?" My tone increased sharply.

"Name" he said sternly.

"Jade."

"last name?"

"Which one?"

"Your current one."

"Johnson" I said with disgust.

"Ahh here we go. Jade Johnson,  staying with Peter and Louvenia Johnson, I presume?" I nodded my head.

"Well I'll just give you a lift."

"Please, no" I pleaded. He frowned and a look of realization crept onto his face.

"Can you please roll up your sleeves?" I lifted them up 2 inches. He frowned, and I rolled them up to my elbows. He nodded pitifully and opened  the police car door, motioning me inside.

"Please don't report this to CPS."

"Sorry, already did."

"Where am I going?"

"Let's just say you're safe."

"Please don't! I am fine under the Johnson's. I got the bruises in a fight." I fib.