nineteen

The Jacks count the money we have collected and saved since we've been in New Orleans and it comes out to a little under five thousand, in cash. I'm sitting on the couch in between Nash and Cameron. I have Kai in my lap and I pet him anxiously, thinking, thinking about everything. I pull Kai into my chest and begin bouncing my legs up and down impulsively, "What are we going to do?" I ask. 

"We have this place paid for another two weeks, so we have time to think and plan out our moves," Cameron says, he places his hand on my knees to stop my from bouncing, I try my hardest to stop, but the anxiety is through the roof.

"There are two terrifying men after me, Cam, and I don't know which one scares me more. Ben's awful, he's done terrible, disgusting, sinful things and the other person looking for me is a man who makes Ben cower."

"She's right," Kian says quietly from a chair next to us, "I mean we have no idea who this other guy is, or what he's capable of." 

"Well, we know for fucks sure we can't trust Ben, and we should try to stay as far away from him as possible," Nash speaks up.

And then all the sudden, it comes to me. I remember something Ben once said in a business deal years ago, I was much younger then and one night I was out of bed wondering around restless from days locked inside. He smiled at his associates nervous about some important trade deal they were going to intersect, the others were concerned they couldn't trust the group who was trying to take down Ben's competitors. 

I remember he said: "Boys, we don't have to trust them, haven't you heard the saying? My enemy's enemy is my friend?"

I repeat the words out loud.

"What?" Cameron blurts out confused. 

"My enemy's enemy is my friend," I say again with a smile. "Think about it, we don't like Ben and neither does this mystery guy, we have something in common with him maybe Ben would fear us."

The guys all look at me with frustrated and confused faces. JC scoffs and is the first to speak, "Ok, yes, that is a saying, but I don't think that can apply here. Especially since this guy is after you."

"Josie it doesn't always work like that," Sammy says. All the guys look at me like I'm stupid and childish, like I have no idea what I'm talking about and anything else that's going to come out of my mouth can just be ignored. But what am I supposed to do? Just sit here and do nothing to help, even though I'm the exact reason we're in this mess. 

On the other hand, it's not like I really asked for any of this, they didn't have to buy me. But then again if they hadn't, I'd still be living my horrible life with Ben and who knows what would have happened to me if I was there when this other guy showed up and demanded me from Ben. My life could have gone in so many different directions and I can't help but wonder if where I am right now is as good as I could get. 

"I'm sorry, I'm just trying to help OK? I can't help but I feel a little guilty, and not only that but I know that we're running out of options so maybe you should try my idea. I'm pretty sure my plans are the ones that have gotten us all these free clothes, those stacks Jack is counting right now and how we can still afford to stay in this huge hotel room."

Everyone is silent, "Look, I'm not trying to fight or argue with you guys, I'm just tired and scared," I glance over to Cameron, "and I know you guys are too, as much as you don't want to admit it for my sake." 

The quiet lingers, some of the guys open their mouths to say something but no words come out. I guess I could have added that we all are tired, I look around seeing we all have dark circles under our eyes. I turn to face a mirror and see mine are the worst, blueish purple bags sink under my lash line and contrast so greatly against my pale skin.