12

"Josie, wake up!" I hear Cameron's voice ring in my ears as his arms shake my shoulders, trying to regain my consciousness. I slowly peel my eyes open, blinking away the blurry vision of Cameron above me. I'm in his arms and he holds me so tight it's crushing me. I inhale through my nose feeling cool crisp air enter my lungs.

"I'm okay," The only words I manage out.

"Jesus Christ! Never scare us like that again!" Nash says kneeling down beside me.

"I'm sorry," I murmur, barely moving my lips. Cameron hugs my wrapping his arms around me fully and rock me side to side. I try resisting the urge to cry but I can't and tear fall from my eyelashes. "Please don't let him take me." I cry looking at all the guys.

"We're not," Jack says for everyone.

"He'll...He'll force you!" I cry.

"No." Cameron says sharply. "He isn't taking you." I turn my body to face him, while still sitting in his lap. "I promise." I hug Cameron and cry into his chest while the rest of the boys watch with sorrowful eyes and hopelessness.

"You can't promise something like that," I cry.

~

The party they promised me is nothing that I expected, it's so much better. It's much more than anything any person would expect for a birthday party. I can't believe my eyes, crowds of people are wishing me a 'Happy Birthday!', people I don't even know. And there is a tower of gifts where the pile was this morning. I'm wearing the dress Cameron gave me and it flows and swishes around my body like nothing I've ever worn before. I get plenty of compliments on the dress as well.

I walk around the large house, hearing my favorite music, helplessly lost yet smiling at everything I see. Even with the events that occurred earlier, I still smile on. Not just because I have to, because if I don't then people will question the guys (they are already being questioned enough for me showing up randomly), but because the whole party is bringing me genuine happiness. Something I never ever really had. Kylie and Kendall and Stassie came and brought huge gifts for me. I hug them as they smile brightly at me.

"How does it feel to be 17?" Kylie asks me.

"Not much different from 16," I have to say loudly over the music. "Thank you guys for coming, you're some of the few people I actually know here." I laugh. Lights flash and the base of a song pounds my heart hard. I feel as though the whole house is moving with the music.

"I think the guys have people for you to meet," Kendall says and points to the patio where I see Cameron hugging a bunch of guys I have never seen in my life. I walk across the room to the open sliding glass doors and stare in awe at the view of everyone having a great time in front of the beautiful city across the valley.

"Yo, let's give it up for Josie!" Cameron shouts out to the night sky and a round of shouts follow from the guests. I blush and walk over to him as the stars shine down on us. The music blasts even louder and I can't help but to get lost in it. Cameron warps an arm around my waist and pulls me close to him. "This is Aaron, Taylor, Carter and Nate." He says introducing the four boys. I'm instantly attracted to the one he calls Nate.

"Hi," I say not taking my eyes off Nate and him doing the same to me.

"Happy Birthday," Aaron says and he gives me a hug, friendly.

"Thank you," I say and smile towards him.

"Has the birthday girl had a drink yet?" Nate asks. I chuckle to myself.

"No, she isn't drinking." Cameron says for me.

"Umm, I never said that I wouldn't drink."

"It's not your choice," He whispers coming close to my ear. I roll my eyes and shrug him away with my hand on his arm.