The Asylum

It's been weeks, the trees are starting to turn into beautiful autumn colors, unfortunately we've been on the move for a long time.

Aurei had been trying to start conversation but it's always cut short.

"Look." Aurei said, peering down from the bridge, Dakota walks behind her.

I walk behind her, the undead wandered around the building, there was a asylum, the gates were secure. Dakota turns to me, his narrow eyes studying me.

I didn't want to have Aurei sleep and feel unsafe....I know she couldn't get back her childhood she couldn't enjoy because she was trying to survive and I'm not going to whine about that, but we need somewhere to be able to sleep, not in the woods.

"We should head there, normally the gates aren't this secure with the undead wandering around." I said, Dakota stops me.

"Remember, we don't know what they do, remember the vipers." Dakota said, he's right....we don't know them....

"They were cannibals." I said, Aurei looks at me.....she didn't know what they were....

"They....ate people?" Aurei asks, her eyes widening.

"Yeah...they did." I said, she shakes her head. Dakota turns to her as she takes a deep breath.

"Anyway, this place is worth a shot." Aurei said, looking at both of us.

"Okay, we'll check the place out, if shit goes down, like it or not I'm getting the hell out of there, even if I have to drag you both out and you know I would." Dakota said as he props his bag on his shoulder to keep it from falling off.

"Come on." I said, heading down the bridge, my shoulders ached from constantly carrying my bag, I haven't really ate much either so my stomach was turning in knots, my legs felt like I've been walking on glass this whole time on Die Hard.

We keep walking, until we headed down to the city that was owned by the undead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dakota runs down the street, Aurei held her glock, she was slowly adapting to this world so I have to keep a close eye on her and what she does.

A roamer staggers behind Aurei, I pull it back, stabbing it before it had a chance to make noise, then I let it collaspe to the ground, Aurei looks over her shoulder, giving me a nod, we follow Dakota as my heart starts beating fast.

Two roamers saunter in front of Aurei she leg sweeps it then stabs it by the head, then she kicked the other by the knee, I stab it as she kept walking with her glock held up.

Dakota stabs another roamer under the chin then pulls it out, letting it fall, a group of roamers were eating out a man, the man laid there as the roamers stuff his intestines inside their mouths and tore of flesh and begun chewing, at this point I'm used to this sight.

We walk towards the fence but someone yells.

"Stay where you stand!!!" I hear a man yell.

"And lower your weapons." A voice that belonged to a woman adds.

We put down our weapons then held our hands up, I glance up at the roof to see a man pointing a sniper at me.

Stay calm.

"Why are you here?" He asks viciously.

"We need a place to stay." I said, stepping forward. Dakota tries to walk towards me but Aurei stops him with her hand. Dakota hated the fact I put my life on the line.

"Do you belong to some sort of group?" The man interrogates.

"It's just us." I said.

"Come through the gate, we'll pick up your weapons." The man said.

"How do we know you're not going to kill us?" I ask.

"In order for us to trust you, you have to trust us." The woman said.

We walk towards the asylum, the door opens with a man pointing his pistol at us.

"If you don't mind, I have to check you all." He said, he had dark brown hair in a ponytail, he had a scar over his eye, and he had light brown skin like Aurei's, he looked ten years older than us.

"Go ahead." I said, giving Aurei a look to prove that I'm okay with this.

He walks towards me first, patting me down from my chest to my pockets and to the pockets of my pants, I frown when he gave me a odd look, I look over at Dakota, he had one of his terrifying glares on and it was down at the guy.

He walks over to Aurei, doing the same, he pats her shoulder but she just nods without smiling, Dakota cuts his eyes at me as the man pats him down.

"Hi, my name is Gordon." He said with a welcoming smile, I couldn't help but give him a friendly grin, "Your names?" He asks.

"I'm Avery Richardson, this is my sister Aurei and this is our friend Dakota Graves." I said, Dakota cuts his eyes at me again.

"Well welcome, come inside and we'll help you get situated." Gordon said, we follow him inside, I couldn't say that I wasn't slightly disturbed by the pure white inside this place, people walked around, some loaded guns people getting stitches in one corner of the room.

"Stay here, I need to get Fernando....he runs this place." Gordon says before walking off.

"Why does he walk like that?" Dakota asks.

"Be nice Dakota." Aurei said as she sat down on the mohagany floor, stretching her legs out and rubbing her leg.

"That's a hard thing to do nowdays." Dakota said, Aurei grins.

A woman walks towards us, she had dark hair with a blonde tint to it, but it's in a ponytail, she had Aurei's complexion like Gordon, she had a mole on her cheek, she wore a dark faded jacket and skinny pants, she smiles at me with her heart shaped face.

"Hi, my name's Jocelyn, you?" She asks, I grin.

"Avery." I said.

"Well welcome to the asylum, come walk with me." She said.

If anything went down, I have Joe's old dagger in the back of my pants with my shirt covering it.

But I couldn't blow my chance of having a good place to stay.

I nod at Dakota for him to watch Aurei although she wouldn't really get into trouble unless someone tried to mess with her. He gives me a nod.

Dakota is changing, he got mad when Gordon checked me earlier, I would have to find out about this.