You're Not A Kid

After Dakota drives up the driveway to the house, Aurei looks at me.

"How long are we staying?" Aurei asks quietly.

"Never too long, eventually the undead will take over." I said, Aurei nods then gazes at her gun. I could tell she was struggling to understand why she shot the man and how she should feel guilty.

"Yeah, we keep moving." Aurei said, she still had a good heart, she must've been in a position where she was so helpless.

Fern keeps sneaking glances at Dakota, he stops the car and then he steps out, me and Aurei do the same, she just walks beside me. Whenever she felt bad about something she would stick close to me to find a way to apologize.

"Avery....talk to me." Aurei pleads.

"I'm listening." I said with a shrug as I step inside the house.

"How did you make it out of the city?" Aurei asks.

"If it wasn't for Dakota....I would've died...." I said, Aurei looks up at me.

"I know how that feels....I was just like Fern when I was in the woods, until that couple found me. I was half-dead, all I had was a flashlight that was low on battery and a gun that was running out of bullets, until that man saved me....he didn't have to....but I guess many people couldn't just leave a small kid to survive on their own." Aurei said, I nod.

"Then they helped you get back on their feet." I finish, she nods, sitting on the couch, Fern sits down against the wall then continued to stare through the window, Dakota walks down the hall.

"How did you meet Dakota?" Aurei asks quickly.

"He pulled me into a building, he could've just let me get eaten and used me as a distraction but he didn't, we fought and he just slammed me on a table, at that point I had no choice but to go with him, because even if he is a asswhole he will have your back. We hated each other so much, he's still the same Dakota but I could care less about that." I said with a shrug.

"Funny...." Aurei said, with a euphoric tone in her voice.

"Stay human." I said nudging her. That meant to stay herself....never give in to this world that is fighting a battle with us.

"Vice versa Avery." Aurei said raising an eyebrow.

"Why would you say that?" I asked, she shrugs.

"I get that there's some people we don't trust, but that doesn't mean we could just take something that belongs to someone and leave them behind to die, that's dirty." Aurei said with venom in her voice.

"I've been on the road longer Rei." I said, she nods.

"I know....it happens." Aurei said, I understand now, Joe was suffering and so was his wife, they were insane. Jeffrey couldn't take the fact that his mother was dead, Cassie was so scared, she overlooked everything and got overwhelmed. Dr. Mayfield was a depressed man, Dakota lost the only person he loved, his sister and was starved, he's broken and he just fought with suicide.

Before all this happened they were fine....until the disease broke out and nearly killed half of the human race and had them resurrect.

"There are good people too." Aurei said, laying her head on the armrest of the chair.

"I know....and I'm seeing a good person right now." I said, handing her my jacket so she could get warm.

"Thanks Avery." She whispers before closing her eyes, Fern smiles warmly.

"She's so loving." Fern said, blushing.

"Oh?" I ask, she nods.

"My sister hated me, I was older by four minutes, she always saw me as a threat or someone trying to take everything from her. I still loved her." Fern said, gazing down at her wrist, it had a blue bird tattooed, I gawk at it.