God's Wrath

"I walk through the valley of the shadow of death....I will fear no evil-for you are with me."
-Psalm 23:4

I run my finger along the text in my bible, sitting in my comfortable couch where my old man used to sit, after hearing about the fever and the theory that the dead will come back to life but not exactly alive, just hungry to eat anything with warm blood and a beating heart....I decided to read the bible.

My thirteen year-sister Aurei stood beside the window, her eyes fixated  outside.

Aurei's no ordinary kid, she's usually a relaxed and mature young girl with the ability to hunt.

But along with her perks, she has her flaws. Aurei had been known for fights at her school

It's been a week since the outbreak, worst than the black plague, most people in our street evacuated, but me and Aurei chose to stay here for our mother's safety.

Our mother has been sick for five days straight.

She got bit in the leg by some teenager the officer put down at the hospital, Mom told us that it was chaotic in the cities right now.

But the ones who are bit, scratched whatever the hell an "infected" person did to you, you couldn't evacuate. You couldn't escape. I've been in the city so I know this...

Something in my gut told me not to let them take my mother. She couldn't have gone there, she would never come back.

It sounds like a dumbass choice to make...but we don't want to lose her, she's our only family we have left, Aurei may be mature and able to hold her own just fine but she just can't lose mom. She just can't.

Our mother used to be a strong, Mexican woman who taught us the dark reality of life and the secrets behind it, our Dad used to be a convincing black man who would risk his own life just to save another. Mom and dad loved each other unconditionally which made the society look down on them for being an interracial couple. But they never cared about that, they were happy.

My wavy hair was the color of coal and it fell down to my shoulders, my eyes were like a dark coffee brown so I looked more of my mother. I'm pretty tall too, not to brag or anything. I had a killer stare, the whole neighborhood knew not to fuck with me or my sister...with that said, things have been pretty crazy this week.

This week I've seen a girl getting dragged out of her house by our fellow neighbors two days ago, her name was Sara Marsh, she went to high school with me and she had got bitten in the side by her boyfriend. It was horrible, she was screaming in utter terror as they dragged her out by her arms and legs, Sara was fighting hard against them but she was pretty much outnumbered.

The neighbors had been paranoid and they took matters into their own hands, when they found out about Sara's bite, they forced her into quarantine. Never heard from her since.

After that day her mother's screams and cries kept us up all night long. Not that I could really blame her though. Like c'mon, the woman just lost her daughter to some nosy ass neighbors.

Aurei slightly glances over her shoulder, she had always been grumpy and anti-social, she wanted no part of society, in fact, I'm the only person she hangs out with ever since her only friend moved away. She wouldn't tell me the real reason why her guard is always up, it was like Aurei is made of multiple layers, there were things she was open with and there were days where she is completely closed off.

Since we're in the light-skin category of the black spectrum chart, we're closer to the lighter side. We were born with less melanin in our skin so people find it hard that we're mixed.