Chapter 5

----------------------

PLEASE NOTE:  THERE IS EXPLICIT MATERIAL IN THIS CHAPTER.  IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR YOUNGER READERS!!!!

----------------------

Bruno held Elizabeth's left hand as he drove her to the restaurant. Feeling happy and comfortable ,Bruno began playing with the simple ring he had just placed on her finger.  With his left hand still on the wheel, he felt his own ring with his thumb. That had really happened. He had committed to marriage with a girl, a girl he hardly new, in front of God and everybody. 'Well, everybody being our friends anyway,' he thought. Remembering the day before, when he and Phil had gone to buy the rings, he wished he'd bought Liz the engagement ring he had found. It was an eye catching clear diamond surrounded with an amethyst and emerald design, set in platinum, but she wouldn't be able to wear it. Not as an engagement ring anyway. Bruno knew he wasn't a huge success yet, but was recognized, now and then, and even asked to sign autographs. If paparazzi discovered any questionable rings worn, it would go straight to print and their families and friends, not to mention his manager, would cook their goose!

Moving her soft hand to his lips, Bruno lightly kissed the back of it and then the ring. Suddenly, he remembered even though these bands were more discreet, they weren't going to be able to wear these rings either. "Lizzy, we're going to have to take off our rings before we go into the restaurant." Turning her head towards Bruno with half a frown, "I'd been thinking about that.  Maybe if we ju--." Before Liz could finish her sentence she heard Bruno yell, almost in a scream, "FUCK!!" She felt a bump, heard tires screeching and was yanked back against her seat by the seat belt. Having only heard love songs and whispers of sweet nothings from him, Bruno's yell was not so much startling as it was downright scary. He was so loud and mean sounding. Adrenaline pumping, eyes and mouth open, she turned to look out the front window at what had made Bruno react as he had.

While Liz was figuring out what was happening, Bruno jumped out of their vehicle and ran towards a little girl, maybe five or six years old, standing in the street looking towards the tires of their car with eyes wide as saucers. She had on a purple bike helmut with baby blonde curls shining just above her shoulders, elbow and knee pads, and her first finger stuck between her lips and teeth. She looked at the car for another second and then at the man who was jumping out of it. She was too scared to move though she wanted to run for her life. 'This is my first bike and I love it and mommy and daddy are going to be so mad!' Thinking this, her finger fell from her mouth, her eyes shut, and the child exploded into tears.

Just then, Bruno frantically knelt beside the girl and asked if she was okay, searching her head and limbs with his eyes for any signs of injury. He couldn't help it, Bruno turned her shoulders towards him and pressed her tightly in for a hug. "Little one, you scared me! Sweet thing, please don't ever do that again!" Letting her step back, but with his hands holding her arms, Bruno looked into her young eyes and asked again if she was sure she was okay.

Elizabeth, having figured out what was going on, had made her way to them and introduced herself. Speaking quietly, Liz took the little hand of the crying girl and walked to the sidewalk. Once there, Elizabeth asked the girl's name. "I'm Avery Duncan and I'm five years old," she gasped out between breaths and rolling tears from her sad eyes. Avery was fit to be tied. She wasn't just crying because she was scared anymore, but because now she was horrified. She was by herself, her bike was gone, and she was talking to strangers! From the side, Elizabeth heard a frenzied voice calling for Avery. Elizabeth stood up from her kneeling position and still holding Avery's hand, waved to the person yelling the little girl's name.

A young lady carrying a small child rushed towards them and bent to face Avery closer. Taking Avery's arm with her own free hand, the lady scolded, "Av, I told you not to come outside until I had finished with your brother and then we would ride your bike! You have got to remember to do as you are told! Now where's your bike," she asked looking around them. Just then Bruno walks up, still shaking from the near miss, holding a crumpled pink bike, with white handle bars, seat, and basket that held a stuffed gray and white Bugs Bunny. Avery grabbed her rabbit and squeezed it to her, apologizing in her five year old voice, "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry." Then turned to her aunt and squeezed her leg as well.